Feature Req: Add a 'Save ALL' feature to Paint.NET

Hi,

I would like to have a Save ALL feature in Paint.NET.

208ad8p.png

It is already wonderful how I could open multiple image files at the same time and work with all by switch between each of them. I understand that before a JPG or PNG finally written to disk, after hitting 'save', that a second prompt window appears to configure the image settings bit depth, quality etc. So for that I would like an option just to skip the quality settings when saving all as most times I keep the same quality as when the images was imported.

I'm using both PDN 3.36 and 3.55

Any comments.

Edited by janbo

Nice idea, but why would you wish to "save all" if your still in the process of editing? I would rather see a "retain EXIF data! feature added.

Obviously when you have finished editing each and every image file and wish to Save AND Close all images at the time rather than doing each individually.

You see today I needed to edit 300 simultaneous JPG files (I loaded 50 per time into PDN) each JPG files made up a image frame as to make back into video or animated gif. When I had finished editing each of the 50 files I loaded I wanted to 'save all' then 'close all' at one time. It would have made my work much more quicker.

File->Exit will give you the "Unsaved Changes" dialog and you can click Save, which will then go and save everything. It'll also quit, but hey ...

No that's not sufficient enough. Firstly, I don't want to end the whole program session and secondly I don't want to keep having the 'save configuration' window popping up for each consecutive save.

Why do you dislike the suggestion of a 'save all' button/menu?

I didn't say I disliked it. I was merely pointing out what is currently available. Please don't infer emotion when none is present.

Sometimes I think I should change my avatar to a picture of a robot ...

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

I think this is a great idea, but I also think that, unless you are doing professional animation that needs a special program to modify certain settings, you could just make one image with 300 layers and save as an animated png. Just sayin'...

I do realize that whatever it is you are doing may require the animation to be in some format other that an image, but if it is just a plain old animation, Simon might have the answer for you ;)

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

I didn't say I disliked it. I was merely pointing out what is currently available. Please don't infer emotion when none is present.

The inference was made from when you wrote "It'll also quit, but hey ...". So I assumed that you thought that the feature was unworthy.

Or just save it as a PDN and use the layer saver.

Good suggestion but sorry it won't be good enough for other multi-image purposes. I'm not knocking the 'layer' feature at all, as I still use it a lot in my other image edits.

Also think about other instances where I would require a 'Save All' like for further example at times when I am editing 5-10 images that are each or some in different folder directories. Sometimes each image is of varying dimensions, file size or even transparency and I would like to maintain that when saving them to disk in a save all.

The 'save all' feature would simply do just that, with a single button/menu, and save all images without closing the entire program or the images opened itself. It's so useful on existing MDI applications like Notepad++ and Firefox. After clicking on a 'save all' then there should be an option to use or not use the 'save configuration' setting.

The only issue I just thought of on my feature request is when multiple images are opened without being saved for the first time (no file-type, just image on canvas). This is where it would get confusing because another option after hittin' 'save all' would be needed to be able to save all to the same or each individual image format. Maybe a forced 'saved configuration' window in this instance giving this extended capability. However, I am currently only interested in established image file formats that have been loaded into PDN. So for the aforementioned issue I just brought up, perhaps the 'save all' could be greyed out on that. Perhaps.

Edited by janbo

• 3 months later...

Greetings. For my first post, I am a little nervous. I don't want to offend anyone by being seen to infer any unspoken meaning. So, you don't say if you do or do not like the idea of having a Save All option. I notice that the suggestion appears on the board as far back as 4 years. From that, I hope I am safe in infering that at least there were a lot of ideas you liked more than Save All.

Can you say what the likelihood of having that option is in the near future?