Installation Problem

Machinax

Hi all,

I just bought a Dell Inspiron with Windows 7 today (64 bit, obviously), and I'm having a problem installing Paint.NET. Downloading it is no problem, but when I try to run it, I get a dialog box which says:

There was an error while installing Paint.NET (2).

The system cannot find the file specified.

There's no error log of any kind, so I don't even know what file is missing (or how there COULD be a file missing, since I downloaded the installer directly from getpaint).

Any help? I'd greatly appreciate it. Paint.NET's been a great program for me, since I take lots of pictures, and I'd be lost without it.

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Have you read and followed this thread carefully? http://forums.getpai...tall-read-this/

Yes, today for the second time - none of the solutions seem to match my problem (either that, or I'm reading them wrong). There are no residual Paint.NET versions on my computer, I've looked with the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility and REVO Uninstaller. Neither is this an uninstallation problem, since, well, the program didn't install to begin with. I didn't get any error messages about the assembly, or any error messages with numbers that came up before the setup wizard with the Paint.NET logo started up. I didn't move Paint.NET after it installed (because, well, it doesn't install), and I can't get to the Paint.NET repair utility because, again, the program doesn't install.

I tried installing it again, and it's the same problem - after it creates the system restore point, the installer says "the system cannot find the file specified." I have no idea what file it's looking for. And yes, I did "Run as administrator".

post-78129-129166749986_thumb.jpg

Empty your %temp% folder (some files will probably not be able to be deleted -- don't worry about them)

Run the installer, and when it fails leave it open.

In %temp%, there should be PdnMsiInstall.log, PdnSetupNgenInstall.log, and PdnSetupShim.log, but if there are others that look Paint.NET-related, post those too.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

Empty your %temp% folder (some files will probably not be able to be deleted -- don't worry about them)

Run the installer, and when it fails leave it open.

In %temp%, there should be PdnMsiInstall.log, PdnSetupNgenInstall.log, and PdnSetupShim.log, but if there are others that look Paint.NET-related, post those too.

This is weird...the temp folder completely cleared out (everything was deleted), but when I ran the installer and left open after it ended (same error message), the temp folder was empty. The log files you mentioned didn't show up as hidden files, and a Windows Search didn't show anything. Am I even looking in the right place? C:\Windows\Temp.

Holy son of a jack-in-the-box, I got it working.

Turns out there was another Paint.NET folder on my computer with the Staging folder in it, nothing else. Deleted everything, ran the installer again, and five minutes later, I'm looking at Paint.NET. Bizarre.

Thanks for all your help, pyrochild, very much appreciated. And very (...very) glad (and relieved) to have Paint.NET back. Now my pictures won't suck anymore!