Sign in to follow this  
welshblue

Make a Viking Helmet

We're going to be making a helmet like the one I made for here ...

th_Valhalla.png

Think outside the box for your textures. Pretty realistic results can happen with the right textures and playing with Blend Modes

Edited by welshblue
  • Upvote 1

Thanks csm'

@ Sarkut ... love how you've altered the headband and would be interested to hear how you got the galvanised steel look.

you can never have too many metal textures.

nice adaption

For the helmet dome, some low-scale low-roughness clouds

was added as multiply at reduced opacity.

A copy of that clouds layer was used as an alpha mask

on the highlighting after the white was gaussian blurred at 70.

Edited by Sarkut

Really great tutorial Welshblue! Easy to follow and still a lot of room for experimentation.

Been experimenting with some leather textures so I used that for the dome part.

th_vikinghelmet.png

Edited by olav.k.m

@ Sarkut ... thanks for that. I'll definitely use that technique for some future projects.

@ Chrisco' ... thanks mate.

@ Olav ... love that leather look. Gives a great outcome. Good idea to cap it with metalVery realistic studs too. (funnily, the Valhalla piece was inspired by yourself and Leif ;) )

@ Goon' ... very nice mate. Nice touch where the helmet meets the rim/ head thingy. Random maze ?

Thanks for giving it a try guys, it's made the hour spent writing it worthwhile.

As have all the different variations :D

... something I didn't add to the tut ... a vertical row of studs, then S3D can have a nice effect too ...

Viking helmets don't even have horns ...

Valid point ... A Horny Helmet ... didn't seem an appropriate title for a F.F.F.

What's in a name when the object of the tutorial is to show how to use various plug-ins to get shapes and to put them together

Yeh it's possible. It's just a case of getting the layer right for the vertical straps before you run S3D

I haven't got the time tonight to mess around with some trial and error tonight but I'll try to update with a version like that in the next couple of days

Edited by welshblue

Sign in to follow this