Make a Hybrid Illusion

Cookies

I don't really know where to put this, but since it's so much easier with text than images i decided to put it here, it is possible with images but i haven't had any luck with images, well lets get started

Required plugin:

High Pass filter

Optional, but recommended:

BoltBait's transparency adjustment effect because i think it's easier with percent than the 255 scale, but as said optional

It's something like this you will end up with (zoom out or walk a few meters away)

yummeh%20tut.jpg

alright lets get started

Start by making a new image (CTRL+N) size 800x400, the width should be less or more depending on the text you write

Hybrid%20Illusion%20-%200.jpg

Now render some clouds, i used 250 scale and 0.35 roughness

Hybrid%20Illusion%20-%201.jpg

Now duplicate the cloud layer and call one of the layers "Trick" and the other "Treat" and create 2 more layers called "Trick text" and "Treat text"

Hybrid%20Illusion%20-%202.jpg

Now in the Treat text write "Treat" and in the Trick text write "Trick", now move the text so they are around the middle and overlapping precisely, e.g. if both words start with "T" then the "T" on the top layer most be precisely above the other "T", use a thick font like Impact so people far away still can see whats written and write with a font size of 192

Hybrid%20Illusion%20-%203.jpg

now merge Trick text with Trick layer and Treat text with Treat layer

Hybrid%20Illusion%20-%204.jpg

Depending on which text layer you want to be able to see close up (in this case it's "Treat") move the layer down and hide the other layer and run High Pass from effects - photo and set the radius to around 7, if you are using the version with extra blurs, just stay at Gaussian blur, but experimenting with the blurs will bring different results, so do what you want to :)

Hybrid%20Illusion%20-%205.jpg

Now make the top layer layer visible and select it and run Gaussian blur with a high radius, but the text still readable, i used a radius of 42

Hybrid%20Illusion%20-%206.jpg

now you got 2 options, 1. change the layer opacity to around 114 or 2. (recommended) Use BoltBait's Transparency adjustment effect and set it to -55, do this on both layers

Hybrid%20Illusion%20-%207.jpg

Now create a new layer and move it down until it's the bottom layer and fill it with a color of your choice, i used white

Hybrid%20Illusion%20-%208.jpg

And you're done!   :D

Now test by zooming out to around 20%

Hybrid%20Illusion%20fin.jpg

But wait! there's still more you can do, you can use curves or color plugins to get different colors, experiment with it until you get a good result   :D  

Edited by Cookies
CookiesSigPDN2.png

Yes, very clever.

I would suggest using the Align Object plug in to get the text lined up easily. ;)

Well, you can do as you want to, but lets say we take the word "Trick" and "Treat" (wondering why? :lol:) and use Align Object there still needs to do some manual work, i prefer doing it all manually :) and thanks :D

@Rubrica Thanks :D

CookiesSigPDN2.png

• 5 weeks later...

haha this was pretty cool.

it took me a while to actually see it and wanting to know which one i wanted to stand out more and the other in the bg.

so here's the result:

x201.png

although the fading text is hard to read up close, but further away, i can make it out.

i had fun and thank you for sharing.

can't wait to mess with this one a bit more as well. C:

haha this was pretty cool.

it took me a while to actually see it and wanting to know which one i wanted to stand out more and the other in the bg.

so here's the result:

x201.png

although the fading text is hard to read up close, but further away, i can make it out.

i had fun and thank you for sharing.

can't wait to mess with this one a bit more as well. C:

nice one :D and the fading text should only be able to read some meters away :)

CookiesSigPDN2.png

oh all right, thanks. ^^V

btw, i was wondering, i really like the "yummeh cookies" one, how would i go about doing that one?

like i did in the tutorial i made :) i think i inverted the colors of the blurred image

CookiesSigPDN2.png