AOTW # 10 Discussion Thread Winners are !

Possum Roadkill

ATOWBanner9A.png

Abstract of the Week Competition # 10 Winners below !

This is the first competition dedicated to Abstract Art created in Paint.Net.

Here are the rules....

Theme is Oma Style Abstract.

For the past several weeks we have had a variety of themes for this abstract art competition.

I think we need to let the creativity of the artists determine the abstractness of their work.

You may make any abstract image you desire but this week we are looking to a master of abstract art on the Paint.net forum, Oma. Please take a few minutes to peruse through her gallery for inspiration. Oma’s Gallery.

Your image can include text, shapes, colors, textures or anything in between with the exception of stock images and renders.

No stock images or renders will be permitted in this comp.

This competition is all about Paint.net and the artist who uses it to their creative best.

Now get out there and think in abstract terms. And as always, use your imagination !

Minimum image size is 800 X 600. There is no maximum image size.

Rules for submitting your entry. READ THIS !

DO NOT POST YOUR ENTRY HERE. PM YOUR IMAGE TO ME. DO NOT COPY IT TO ANYONE ELSE.

I WILL POST THE IMAGES IN THE COMP AS THEY ARE ENTERED.

DO NOT POST YOUR IMAGE IN YOUR IMAGE GALLERY OR IN THE PICTORIUM OR ANYWHERE ON THIS SITE.

No images previously submitted will be allowed.

This thread is for DISCUSSION only ! If you want to ENTER this comp, please read the above rules.

The Entry period for this competition runs through Sunday evening August 29th, 2010 at 8:00 p.m., Eastern Daylight Savings Time. All Entries submitted up to that time will be accepted.

Edited by Possum Roadkill

SAC, WOTW and Photo Manip Competition Host

To visit the Comps click HERE

good luck to you all.

I've often been asked what inspires my abstracts.

almost anything can be a trigger but often its

1) a play on words, or the lyrics of a song...Sometimes English phrases are really funny. Like a "Solid splash" Thats almost impossible to imagine but I used paint.net for my interpetation. http://omagrandmother.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d1atocr

"Living in a prism" http://omagrandmother.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d1nq1rf

2) I love the rich and soft colors alike. The colors determine the mood, or can invoke an image. "When light has a voice" http://omagrandmother.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d1c185t

or "Inner Peace" http://omagrandmother.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d1gvfb5

3) strong emotions or very personal private thoughts are many times the starting point. Here are a few of my favs, Each image brings to life exactly what I was feeling at the moment.

"A single moment in time" http://omagrandmother.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d1nr755

" Unleashed" http://omagrandmother.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d1uiosi

"Fragil soul " http://omagrandmother.deviantart.com/gallery/#_featured--2

"Whispers" http://omagrandmother.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d2apcn1

so there are a few things that inspire me. There are many more triggers but these are common ones for me. Please do take time to go thru my gallery at DA for other examples of my abstracts along with my gallery here at Paint.net. I often have little tips and extra comments on the meanings behind the picture in my gallery here.

Thanks for the compliment in your intro Possum, and I wish each and every one of you good luck in this comp. Let me feel your inner thoughts and let me learn something about you thru your art.

ciao

OMA

Edited by oma

would I be mistaken in thinking that we have an "all female" comp. on our hands? :P

C'mon guys..get in touch with your feminine side..(you know you want to! :mrgreen: )

my guesses..

no.1..Oma.

no.2..Bbq.(ha.ha. sorry Welshy! :lol: )

no.3..Soka.

no.4..Blackpenny

regards j.d.

Edited by j.d.melek

I'm very pleased to announce that Sarkut will be taking over the Abstract of the Week competition starting on the next round. If you would be so kind as to copy him on your submissions for this round. Continue to send them to me so I can post them in the entry thread.

Edited by Possum Roadkill

Why is Sarkut taking over?

This is gonna be great. Good luck Sarkut!

Because I lost a bet. He also won my car and one of my dogs. =O (car don't run and the 3 legged dog can't hunt)

I hope that everyone will continue to support this comp. I think Sarkut's going to do a great job!

Poll is up ! Vote for top 3. Poll closes Wednesday September 1st 7:00 p.m. EST. Results will be posted in the Discussion thread.

Thanks, csm and Possum.

Possum I'm not really sure that dog you gave me is on the level.

Also, check for PM re: poll if you haven't already.

No he's not level, he's only got 3 legs and it makes him lean to the right a little.

I want to thank everyone who has entered the AOTW these past months. It's been you who have made this such a successful competition. Who would have thought just a few months ago that this forum would undergo so many changes. The new forum software has given us a great place and way to share and gather to celebrate art and our love of Paint.net, the best and easiest to use free imaging software ever. Thanks to Pyrochild for giving me the chance to host 3 comps at the same time. I'm sure you were sweating it for a while. :lol: I've done my best to make this a fair and fun comp that celebrated the reason why we are all here and included anyone and everyone who wanted to join in. This has been a great deal of fun for me. I want to thank Oma for letting us use her as an example of what great abstract art can be. I want to give a special thanks to all my special friends, who know who they are, for the support and friendship you have shared with me. Lastly, I want to thank Sarkut for always being there for members of this forum when they had a question, needed a tip, couldn't find a link, couldn't figure out a technical problem, or so many other things. You are a shining example of what this forum is all about.

Now with an end to all the blathering, I officially turn this comp over to Sarkut. I hope you all will treat him with the same kindness and respect you all have shown to me. I'll still be hosting the WOTW and SAC, so don't forget to enter those as well. Thanks for a lot of fun everyone !

Possum

congratulations Welshy :trophy: and bbq. :trophy-silver: and to everyone else :trophy-bronze: ..

that was a tough call this time..all good entries :D

well Possum..your "retirement" speech really brought a little tear to my eye :cry: are you sure you are not a professional "oscar speech" writer? I'm sure there was a touch of the "Halie Berry's" in there somewhere :devlish:

anyhoo..I would like to thank you for your time and patience while hosting this comp. and would like to remind everyone that if you want to continue to "anger-the-possum" you will have to enter WOTW or SAC instead now.. :evillaugh:

thanks again..

regards j.d.

congratulations Welshy :trophy: and bbq. :trophy-silver: and to everyone else :trophy-bronze: ..

that was a tough call this time..all good entries :D

well Possum..your "retirement" speech really brought a little tear to my eye :cry: are you sure you are not a professional "oscar speech" writer? I'm sure there was a touch of the "Halie Berry's" in there somewhere :devlish:

anyhoo..I would like to thank you for your time and patience while hosting this comp. and would like to remind everyone that if you want to continue to "anger-the-possum" you will have to enter WOTW or SAC instead now.. :evillaugh:

thanks again..

regards j.d.

I must say that blue ribbon looks good on you. :D

Wow, there are so many jokes for the Hallie Berry comment, but since this is a family oriented forum, I'll leave it at, I really like Hallie Berry.......a lot......a whole lot. Whew ! Is it ever getting warm in here. Someone better open a window. B)

It was my pleasure to host the AOTW and it was nice people like you who made it so much fun!

Now that my keyboard has stopped writing like 6ove6y works I can say that all of the entries were really great & such a wonderful tribute to a talented artist & wonderful person.

Well done Welshy & everyone else tied? WOW! Amazing art! Thanks to all who voted for me & generally took the time to vote. It does mean a lot to entrants who take the time to create images.

Possum, thanks for being such a hard-working host. It isn't easy, I'm sure but you have made the comps a lot of fun. We will give Sarkut our full support. Sarkut has such a wealth of knowledge & he is very kind too. His art is awesome too - highly recommend visiting his gallery.

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

Congratulations welshblue and barbieq25 !

And to all who came in third place - :)

olav k.m., sokagirl, j.d. melek, Possum Roadkill, and Sarkut.

As soon as I catch up on some details, AOTW #11 will be posted.

It should have a familiar look to it.

( If it ain't broke, don't fix it! )

Hopefully the comp will continue on smoothly as it has under Possum Roadkill's guidance.

Thanks to all for the expressions of continued support for the AOTW comp.

Congratulations everyone! I really liked all the entries, and it was hard to decide which to vote for.

Possum, thanks for being a great host, and good luck to Sarkut. (Sarkut is my hero for explaining the Alpha Mask plug-in. :) )

Edited by blackpenny