Sign in to follow this  
Mayor_McSteeze

Simple Glossy Water Effect

This tutorial is available as a PDF. Click here to view or download it

Here's a simple water effect that I created a while back but have yet to post

boltbait.hmm.png .

Step 1. Make a new Canvas. I choose 450 X 150. But it's really up to you.

Step 2. Render Clouds at the default settings.

step2-2.jpg

Step 3. Next, Render Clouds with the belnd mode set to difference 5-7 times. (Do Not Duplicate the Layer!) (Press Ctrl+F)

Step 4. Invert the colors. (Ctrl+Shift+I)

step3-2.jpg

Step 5. Color with curves. (Feel free to mess around with this setting.)

Step5-2.jpg

Step 6. Next run displacement close to the following settings. (Experiment, please.).

Edit by EER: Displacement is a plugin - get it from this pack: MadJik's Plugin Pack

step6-2.jpg

(Feel free to mess with this to give you a better effect.)

Step 7. (Optional) Duplicate your final result and run a zoom blur around 50 px, set the blend mode of the new blurred layer to lighten for a "Light Shining" through look.

Estimated Time To Complete 5-10 Minutes.

Final result!

finished-2.jpg

Hope you liked this tutorial.

Feel free to post questions and results.

Have fun!

Looks like I'm the first to try this one. There are two. The 450x150 and a wall paper I made at 800x600. They turned out not too bad.

lilstorm.jpg The little guy.

800x600bb.jpg

I thought of this exact same technique a few months ago while playing around with displacement. You beat me to making a tut.

Grr.

:lol:

Anyway, here's my outcome (This is old; April-Mayish 2010):

watertemplate.png

Makes me thirsty.

I'm making fantasy maps, and I have oceans that I'd like to give a sheen to, just over the surface - you know, a bit of wet reflection?

Forum says I don't have permission to attach a .pdn to my post (wtf?), and the upload image dialog is being a pain, so at the moment I can't even give you an example of what I'm getting at. I don't want an object that has a reflection, I want the water itself... I think I have something I might be able to try but I'm not sure just yet. Any suggestions appreciated!

Cheers,

Heather

Edited by PeaceHeather

Forum says I don't have permission to attach a .pdn to my post ...,

.pdn is Paint.NET's own internal format. It is not recognized by the forum host or by image hosting services. Save your image as a *.png or *.jpg and you should be fine to upload.

*facepalm*

Yeah, I read that elsewhere right before I left for dinner, then when I came back I saw Sarkut had messaged me and you were kind enough to reply as well. Oy.

ANYway... lessee here. Hopefully this will give you an idea of what I'm looking for. I had to shrink it pretty far to get it to upload, though.

post-56067-129738970695_thumb.png

I *think* I know something I can try but I haven't had a chance yet to test it today. If it works I promise I'll tell you how I did it!

Cheers,

Heather

Edited by PeaceHeather

Nice Tut! I combined it with redfrog's glass text to get this: unledkk.gif

As u see it's acid, I recolored after I added glass text. Tut is also very useful to make lava!

Edited by Mad Reaper

Honestly, I have no clue how this happened, but I like it. I do know that there's a sepia layer set to Color Burn, somewhere in there. XD Thanks for the awesome tut!

1fjx8k.png

(I'm beginning to see a green theme in my stuff lately....)

Edited by Moninca