How to Install Plugins ×

Grid Maker Plugin v3.0 - Updated July 2, 2014

Illnab1024

I'm sorry, I meant the zip file you've just downloaded.

No. Way. I've just seen Bob. And... *poof!*—just like that—he disappears into the mist again. ~Helio

You should be able to download the dll by simply right clicking on the following link and choose "Save Target As..."

GridMaker.dll

When the "Save As" dialog box comes up, select your Paint.net effects folder and store the dll there.

After it is finished downloading, you should then, right click on the file using explorer and choose "Properties" from the menu. Click the "Unblock" button, then click OK.

Run Paint.net and you should see the gridmaker plugin in the effects menu.

:oops: I'm kind of embarrassed to ask this, but now that I have this grid, what do I do with it? It's only for aesthetic purposes right? Because I was thinking it would be a substitute for the built-in pixel grid, but now I'm thinking it's just for things like the background of Hellfire's sig. If that's the case, then that's cool too because I've been wanting something like that as well.

Are there any other uses for it besides art. I know that in theory you can use it to draw something to scale, but I don't think that's what it was intended for.

I have a specific question though: What exactly does the alpha-only option do and in what case would you use it?

KORTECKGOLDGIFSIG455x100.gif

Well, it can be used as needed - aesthetics, or ease of measurement, many uses...

Alpha-Only will only affect the alpha value of the pixels the affect is applied to... Say you have An image of something - set your primary or secondary color to oh say an alpha of 128, and the effect will only make a grid that is based on the alpha value of 128, not a color value of white or black... This way it keeps the original image's colors... I hope that's clear enough?

~~

• 2 weeks later...

I know I'm going to get funny looks for this, but I was wondering if there was any possibility to get an additional option in this plugin to go from squares to hexes?

My main reason for using it is allowing a quick over-lay of gridlines on a particular over-head pic for usage as a tacticle map, and in some instances hexes are needed over squares.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

I like this plugin a lot. I will use it to set-up grids for creating sketch/painting layouts.

One question. Is it possible to increase the number of pixels per square size.

200 is the max. But the grid is still too small for my needs. Could it be increased to sat 1,000 or 2,000

This is a great application.

Goodbye PSPro

autolisp

Hi.

I like this plugin a lot. I will use it to set-up grids for creating sketch/painting layouts.

One question. Is it possible to increase the number of pixels per square size.

200 is the max. But the grid is still too small for my needs. Could it be increased to sat 1,000 or 2,000

This is a great application.

Goodbye PSPro

autolisp

Thanks!

I really don't want to change the slider on the DLL as it would become too hard to use. But, if you look on page 2 of this thread, you will see the following Codelab script:

void Render(Surface dst, Surface src, Rectangle rect) 
{ 
   int GridSize = 32; 

PdnRegion selectionRegion = EnvironmentParameters.GetSelection(src.Bounds); 
   for(int y = rect.Top; y     { 
       for (int x = rect.Left; x         { 
           if (selectionRegion.IsVisible(x, y)) 
           { 
               bool Odd = true; 
               if ( ((x/GridSize) % 2) == 0) Odd = false; 
               if ( ((y/GridSize) % 2) == 0) Odd = !Odd; 
               if ( Odd ) dst[x,y] = EnvironmentParameters.PrimaryColor; 
           } 
       } 
   } 
}

Just put this into codelab and change the GridSize variable from 32 to your desired size.

@BoltBait

Thanks for that info.

I copied all the text from the link you suggested and modified it in two places.

Initial grid size I = 250.

Default line width = 3

Works a treat.

Thanks

autolisp.

p.s. I could not get the line width to be related to brush width?

• 2 months later...

This is very hand tool. Combined with drop shadow, it's easy to make perfectly space buttons for an image map. Thank you!

Would snap-to grid be possible with this?

I finally needed to do something that I thought this would work with. It didn't work out.

What it lacked was input size fields of the rectangles, length and width. I had a 600x300 graphic that I wanted to have a grid of 6 rectangles each of the size 200x150 ( 2 rows, 3 rectangles across ). I had to then draw my own rectangle, duplicate it, position it and repeat to get first row and then duplicate that. Even that didn't do as I needed as the bottom and right borders went off the edge of the image and I had to draw those lines in.

Not sure if you can or want to add the option to specify the rectangle size.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I'm stuck on gettin the gridmaker to work. What folder should I save it in? Right now I have it saved in:

My Computer>Local Disk>Program Files>Paint.NET

I don't know if I was supposed to put it in the effects folder in there or not...

• 2 weeks later...

Where do you extract the plugin to? I extracted it to effects..

But it doesn't seem to be there.

EDIT: I got it. It was in the Render thing.

Eff.png

MadJik, Could you add a render circles/dots option?

dots.png

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster

BTW, I made those^ dots with the current v2 grid maker...

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster

• 1 month later...