Editing Windows Welcome Screen...

Zacariem

Hi!

I've found a few free programs online that offer premade windows welcome screens (the screen with the list of users when you boot up your PC).

But what I'm wanting is to put a picture (made in PDN of course!) on the welcome screen.

But I need a program to do this because I share my PC with my family and my dad would probably KILL me if I went changing stuff like that without DEFINETILY being able to change it back!!!

Anyone know of amy programs???

Zacariem! 8)

They said we couldn't fly.

We did.

Anythings possible!

zacariem_firy_sig2.png

All the graphics for the logon screen are stored in C\WINDOWS\system32\logonui.exe, so you can modify it easily using ResHacker or something similar. I'm not sure if Windows would auto-default it if you tried to replace it, but I don't think it does that for anything in system32 (it didn't for uxtheme.dll, so I don't see any reason for it to do it for logonui.exe).

I would recommend against changing your boot screen because you end up having to modify some kernel files to do so. This isn't exactly a very safe thing to do, and you can easily end up with a system that won't boot or won't update.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Without rick, first off, stating the obvious, no PDN (AHHH).

But Secondly, everyones computer that browses these forums would be so messed up from the stuff we do to it, we wouldn't be able to shut it down.

Speaking of that, rick, do you know why my main computer refuses to turn off using the windows script for it?

My computer runs fine for about 30 minutes, then the internet goes out, and all my major programs stop working, and won't start back up again, even itunes or photoshop, which rarely use the internet. I try to turn the computer off, and it won't do it...any help

Didn't wanna make a new thread about this, sorry for hijacking your thread.

ravennm3.png

I'm not psychic, please don't ask me Windows troubleshooting questions. I don't know why you're always asking me questions like this half way through a thread -- please stop it. (this isn't the only time I've seen it)

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Without rick, first off, stating the obvious, no PDN (AHHH).

Didn't wanna make a new thread about this, sorry for hijacking your thread.

Not a problem I've actually gone off the idea anyway lol! :lol:

To be honset, I can't be bothered!!!

Zacariem 8)

They said we couldn't fly.

We did.

Anythings possible!

zacariem_firy_sig2.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I remember that Windows95 had the "option" (maybe not really an option, but a hidden capability) to change the shut down "It is now safe to turn of your computer" screen by editing a small bitmap somewhere in the hard drive. It'd be cool if that were an option for Vista's start up screen.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Oy vey! I didn't even notice!

Yeah, this really doesn't merit being alive anymore.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.