Noob Here... Did a search, can't find issue. Halp?

I just KNOW that I'm going to kick myself in the pants when I get an answer to this, but; Windows XP, Paint.net v3.5.5. I use the selection tool, select an area, and copy the selection and then paste. Unfortunately, it also selects the background as well when I paste. I don't know how I've done it before but I've been able to paste things that I've copied without the background also being copied.

NOTE: Yes, I'm aware of the Magic Wand for basic images. I'm not referring to it's usage, however. And I've also only had this issue within the past month or so, as well- I never had a problem before. Possibly an update, or more than likely a change in something I've been doing I just don't recall doing now. Please keep things relatively simple, since I usually just use the program for minor picture editting and resizing. x_x;

Edited by Amariithynar

Draw on a transparent layer.

Make a selection.

Copy.

Paste into new layer.

Ctrl+Shift V

Move the selection where you want it to be on its own layer.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

This should work.

Draw on a transparent layer.

Make a selection.

Copy.

Paste into new layer.

Ctrl+Shift V

Move the selection where you want it to be on its own layer.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

This should work.

You'd think so, and I thought so, but that's exactly where the problem comes into play. Even with a transparent layer it STILL pulls the background when I try and copy/paste it. Might the program be bugged and I need to reinstall? Or is there something I'm just missing? (to confirm re: layers: Add new layer, draw on layer, copy layer, click to background/previous layer, paste and move. Correct? When I try setting the opacity of the layer lower so it'll be transparent it lightens the image making it so that it doesn't transfer properly, which was the only way I could think of to make a transparent layer.)

Edited by Amariithynar

set layer opacity to 0

Don't change the layer opacity.

click to background/previous layer, paste and move.

No.

Instead paste into new layer and move.

Paste into new layer:

Ctrl+Shift V

=============================================

Avoid pasting into the background layer.

=============================================

If you start with your background layer, make a new layer and draw on the new layer,

then you don't really need to copy/paste at all.

Simply leave the drawing on its own layer and

position it using the Move Selected Pixels tool. :MoveTool:

Edited by Sarkut

Warning: I am not the Oracle at Delphi. I may not solve your issues, so shushy bushy if you're going to bang yourself on the head with this website.

Sarkut is probably right...

Don't change the layer opacity.

That is the best I can do, except to say this: the program might be having technical issues, but don't report anything yet. How did you do it in the first place? I told you I wasn't the Oracle at Delphi! And if that's the case, maybe that's why I don't know what color orbidontknow is pdn35icons.RightArrowBlue.pngdiagona.155.png or if this is a boy or a girl fugue.user-silhouette.png.

Caution: Above may contain jokes that nobody will figure out. Please do not try to solve this riddle lest you will be on this website for 10 weeks. Here's the point... I don't know everything.

Wait a minute... try adding a new layer and draw on that one, but make sure it's transparent.

Edited by baseballgirl2468

----------------------------

B a * they'll <3 u 4 it

I did!

Windows XP, Paint.net v3.5.5. I use the selection tool, select an area, and copy the selection and then paste. Unfortunately, it also selects the background as well when I paste. x_x;

I would like to see this image, that may lead to the answer.

martelshiney300-1.pngbleeping12.png

When I try setting the opacity of the layer lower so it'll be transparent it lightens the image making it so that it doesn't transfer properly, which was the only way I could think of to make a transparent layer.

newlayer01.png

Edited by Sarkut

Ah, that's what you mean when you say transparent layer. Just making a new layer. That's what I do normally-I just tried the layer opacity thing in case that's what you meant.

For some reason there's this block of "invisible" that is copied in the selection, even if it's to another layer. It's... Odd, to say the least. And it's not any specific picture; I mean, I found out about this irritant when I was trying to just copy and paste a single curved line.

Here's what I did: Add Layer. Draw curved line. Selection around it. Copy, new layer, paste. I'm uploading a picture where I've turned the background off to show that there's no white behind it, just invisible matrix. Sorry I am not that familiar with the technical terms and such; I just use it for minor editing. x_x; Yes, it's a PNG; I know it flattens layers. But it was what I had to save it to to get it onto imageshack.

weirdissue.png

Try following these steps exactly:

1) Open a new file in Paint.NET.

In the menu at the top -

Edit > Select All

-----------------------

Edit > Erase Selection

You should now have one transparent (alpha) layer.

========================================

2) This is important!

In the top-right corner of the Layers window,

click the red icon with the X inside it.

This closes the Layers window.

========================================

3) In the Tools window, click the Line/Curve tool icon.

Set brush size to 20.

Draw a vertical line in the left part of the canvas,

similar to your previous screenshot.

Make a Rectangular Selection around the line.

=========================================

4) Menu:

Edit > Copy

---------------------

Edit > Paste in to New Layer

=========================================

5) The Move Selected Pixels tool is automatically in effect.

Move the selected pixels to the side with the mouse.

Just shortening some of the explanations around here...

For some reason there's this block of "invisible" that is copied in the selection, even if it's to another layer.

It seems to me that, even though you are making a new layer and pasting, you aren't pasting on to the new layer. Make sure the new layer is selected before you paste.

To not have to deal with the whole copied background alpha issue, simply copy your desired area, click the "add new layer" button, and paste. Clicking the new layer button should automatically select the new layer as well. If you still have the problem, check the layer window to make sure the new layer was selected.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo