No longer functions

I’ve been using paint.net for a couple of years without a problem. However when I tried to use it today, I got the “Paint.net has encountered a problem and needs to close” message.

I tried several of the usual fixes to no avail including trying to un-install it with a view to reinstalling it. However when I try to uninstall it I’m getting a pop up saying:

” There is a problem with this Windows Installer package.

A program required for this install to complete could not be run.

Contact your support personnel or package vendor”

When I close that box, I get another box saying “Fatal error during installation”

I had upgraded to v3.5.5 a couple of weeks ago without an issue.

I tried this several times and downloaded it again from several different sites in the hope that it would update but it seems that I can’t uninstall it so I can’t re-install it.

Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated as I use this software often.

For the initial issue, there should be a file on your desktop called pdncrash.log. Post its contents here.

For the installation issue, have you read the sticky post in ALL CAPS regarding installation issues? Read it well and follow it precisely.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

Hi Pyrochild.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

In following your advice, the pdncrash.log is blank.

I've read the stickys on this but haven't seen the same problem mentioned.

Since I completely deleted the previous version, my problem now is more related to installing the latest version 3.5.5.

When I try to do that from the Paint.net.3.5.5.Install.exe, the installation stalls and I get a box with the following:

Paint.net Setup Front-End has encountered a problem and needs to close.

Followed by the usual tell micro-soft about this etc.

I'm running XPpro and service pack 3. and have automatic updates enabled in my control panel.

Hi Pyrochild.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

In following your advice, the pdncrash.log is blank.

I've read the stickys on this but haven't seen the same problem mentioned.

Since I completely deleted the previous version, my problem now is more related to installing the latest version 3.5.5.

When I try to do that from the Paint.net.3.5.5.Install.exe, the installation stalls and I get a box with the following:

Paint.net Setup Front-End has encountered a problem and needs to close.

Followed by the usual tell micro-soft about this etc.

I'm running XPpro and service pack 3. and have automatic updates enabled in my control panel.

Update. I've followed every instruction and suggestion with the exception of the download cleanup utility (which I'm advised by Microsoft is is damaging) all to no avail. The upgraded version 3.5.5 is still installed according to my control panel (add or remove programs) and it will not uninstall or work because of the problem associated with the installer package mentioned in my original post.

It's become obvious to me that I hadn't tried to use it since I carried out the upgrade and the problem is in the v3.5.5 installer package which won't either fully install or uninstall.

Edited by kellio

There is an interesting discussion of the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility here.

One of the posts also links to a download site. Apparently Microsoft have withdrawn it.