Versioning Number?

peppeddu

What's the logic in deciding the version number of Paint.NET?

In the Roadmap, v3.5 comes after v.3.36 but isn't "36" bigger than "5"?

It would make much more sense to use 3.50 instead, unless the "0" is implicit thus omitted.

But if that's the case, what's the logic behind v3.10?

The reason why I am asking is because I file all the old versions of the software I download, and this is first time I came across something like this.

Windows put the folder in the wrong place, or, the number system is wrong????

v3.36 probably should've been called v3.3.6. That is, major version 3, minor version 3, update 6.

v3.5.5 has a file version of v3.55. The 3rd and 4th version fields are basically a time stamp, and not part of the product name.

It's just a better way of publishing the version number. If you want to call the folder v3.50 then go ahead.

Also, I should point out that while 3.5 and 3.50 are mathematically equally, they are not equal when it comes to versioning. That's because a version is 4 integers that just happen to be separated by periods so that it looks like a single number.

I don't know why you'd want to archive old versions of Paint.NET though. It's 3.5MB, free, and there's no reason to ever install an older version (we never support older versions in any way).

And, also, what BoltBait said.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Rick makes up the numbers however he likes because he's the boss. That is all you need to know.

:lol:

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

In the Roadmap, v3.5 comes after v.3.36 but isn't "36" bigger than "5"?

So far as I know, version numbers can work like decimals. (i.e. 3.36 < 3.5 )

If not, then surprise, Paint.NET's version numbers do!