Divide and Conquer PlugIn Request

Vince

There is a plugin that I, and I believe others, would find extremely useful. I have searched the PlugIn list and if it already exists, I could not find it.

The idea is simple: the plugin would take a 32-bit image and create from it a 4-layer .PDN image. There would be an 8-bit additive layer for each color plus alpha.

One can create a 3-layer .PDN from a 24-bit image by first creating a 3-layer .PDN where each layer contains a copy of the original image, then removing two of the three colors from each layer using the Levels adjustment. Automation of this process, and the addition of an alpha layer, would be very useful.

I don't think this plugin can be created exactly the way you have requested it. Plugins are only allowed access to the current layer and cannot create, remove or modify any other layers in the image. I suppose this could be implemented somehow with a filetype plugin instead, but I'm unsure about this part as I have never written a filetype plugin before.

I suppose this could be implemented somehow with a filetype plugin instead, but I'm unsure about this part as I have never written a filetype plugin before.

That's not what FileType plugins are designed to do, so it would probably be removed. The only type of plugin that could achieve this would be an external program, although that wouldn't be very convenient to use.

Plugins also can't create alpha layers, but there are a lot of alpha mask plugins. I suggest going for channel mask.

KaHuc.png

APShredder and Simon Brown, thanks for your responses. From what you say, I understand that what I requested could not be implemented by a plugin. Do you think the ability to split up an image into its color (and possibly alpha) components as layers would be as useful as I believe it would? If so, maybe I should suggest it as a feature for a future version of Paint.Net.

Edited by Vince

The workaround is to load the image, duplicate the layer three more times and use effects/plugins to extract the information you don't want. Repeat for each layer, leaving Red in one layer, Green in another, etc...,

There are a lot of such plugins them available (extract color, Grim color reaper, etc..,). Curves might also achieve the same result.

There's a perfect plugin for this: Extract Channel by Ed Harvey. Duplicate the image layer three times, then run the effect four times each time preserving your specified channel. Then set the Layer blend modes to Additive. This won't work for the alpha channel as there is no real implementation of alpha mask layers.

signature.png