Automatic filter with drawing and text tools

This is my first post on the forum (I've been reading the forum for few years already), therefore let me, first of all, express my gratitude to the developer(s) and community for such a great application.

Secondly I would like to point out that I've been searching the forum and consulting other requests and FAQ for a similar topic but with no success.

Some of my friends and I are using Paint.NET mainly for quick and basic editing of images. But one most frequent usage is to annotate images/screenshots. I find the Paint.NET mechanisms for manipulating the annotation elements quite user friendly and usable. Although there is one "cosmetic upgrade" of the tools which I would love to see in Paint.NET.

It would be great if drawing tools could be used with some effect automatically. Just as an illustrative example, imagine that you have the combo-box on the tool-bar when you select line drawing tool. That combo-box would have a title Drawing Effect: and the list would consist of the following items: none, drop shadow, glow... So, when one would choose to draw a line with the effect drop shadow, the shadow would be dropped from the line (the look, orientation and the rest of the parameters should be configurable in the simple dialog) immediately after the line is drawn. In that way no additional layers would have to be created with the effect applied additionally, etc.

This would tremendously improve the speed of annotating the images and the aesthetics of the final image.

Is it possible to improve something like this at all?

Thank you very much in advance for your time and effort to reply to this message.

Regards!

As best I can explain, the answer is no. This type of combination of tools and effects is not (currently) possible.

The (simplistic) reason is that the tools and effects are coded separately. In order to run tool X with effect Y, Rick is going to have to consider every possible combination and rewrite the tool code for each possible combination.

If The tools and effects are kept separate, you can combine each tool with every effect just by running each consecutively.

I hope this sort of explains why your idea is not going to happen anytime soon.