Plugins & Security ?

There are no security features.

And no, there is no guarantee of safety with respect to pinned plugins. Just popularity, and a higher likelihood that since they are popular they will be safe.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

There are no security features.

And no, there is no guarantee of safety with respect to pinned plugins. Just popularity, and a higher likelihood that since they are popular they will be safe.

If there are no security features, then I would think that someone could write a plugin that waited a couple of months to infect your computer, and you would probably never know where the infection came from. Or, whenever Paint.NET was running, it could look for interesting files and send them off to Russia. I'm not sure how that would be detected, and if the plugin were good, it would get good reviews, become popular, and maybe even get pinned. So, the situation is a little worrisome. (It didn't stop me from installing two plugins, but it does make me nervous.)

--Paul

It's simple to prevent any damage, simply sandbox your paintdotnet application to a specific folder, and block it from sending communication or altering files outside that folder.

I believe a number of antivirus and firewalls offer that feature, I know the lastest version of Comodo Free Firewall does.

Edited by PineappleQc

WW3tz.jpg

"Ah, i love it when huge pineapples try to take over the world, it makes me sentimental :')"

-Stephan

It's simple to prevent any damage, simply sandbox your paintdotnet application to a specific folder, and block it from sending communication or altering files outside that folder.

I believe a number of antivirus and firewalls offer that feature, I know the lastest version of Comodo Free Firewall does.

I'll look into that-- thanks for the tip.

No problem, but just for the record, I have a whole bunch of plugins and have never had any problems.

I regularly check my outgoing / ingoing connections and absolutely nothing even remotely suspicious. And anyhow, I do believe any antivirus would detect such behaviour fairly quickly, as any unallowed access of memory can be detected easily.

WW3tz.jpg

"Ah, i love it when huge pineapples try to take over the world, it makes me sentimental :')"

-Stephan

If you're on Windows 7 or Vista, there's not much harm a plugin could do anyway, unless you're running Paint.NET as an admin (which there is no reason at all to do).

There's not much incentive to target Paint.NET either. Like Windows vs. Mac, a good deal of security just comes from being a smaller target than Photoshop or GIMP. Assuming there's some dude out there that, for some reason, wants to give viruses to image editors...

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

And we are a fairly tight-knit bunch. Not many plugin authors are strangers around here.

As suggested above, stick with the pinned plugins and you can't go far wrong.