Sign in to follow this  
welshblue

Engraved/ Embossed Pitted Metal

This tutorial is available as a PDF. Click here to view or download it

After a bit of interest in the technique I used in this image, I've knocked up with quick tut' ...

1.png

This is just a quick how to ... I added many more layers and different Blend Modes ... all in all about 80 layers but hopefully this will get the jist of the technique across

Many thanks to Chad for his invaluable, versatile Concrete tut ...

Click Using this is optional, but I find it gives more interest to the base metal

Plug-Ins Needed:

Multi Colour Gradient . Not sure if Align Object is standard now or a plug-in ... but you'll need it
2.png

2. Adjustments >>> Make Black and White

3.png
4.png
5.png
6.png
7.png
8.png
9.png
10.png
11.png
12.png

Playing with different Blend Modes

13.png
14.png

Enjoy and play around with all the settings I've posted. It's surprising how varied the results can be. Whether they look good or not is down to you, the individual ...

Edited by Woodsy
rehosted to Postimage. Added PDF link
  • Upvote 1

Nice tut except you forgot to say anything about a black layer or white layer or light grey layer in the beginning or are those font colors?. I find out at step 18 and have to go back and start over again and it also lists two backgrounds in the history image on step 18 whereas you said merge the two metal layers in step 9 and do not mention anything about duplicating another. I see the second background layer under the text layer and it's transparent. When you said merge did you mean the concrete layer with one of the metal ones? Please clarify. I'm confused enough as it is. Lol

PS - I figured out the fonts are different colors and the second background I'm thinking is the concrete and metal layer at 37% opacity. Am I right?

Edited by uvah

Apologies if this was difficult to follow, uvah.

Sometimes I forget and presume. (As Myrddin, used to pick me up on. Where's he gone ? And ASH ?)

In this case, I didn't think about stating - add each new text layer ... to a New Layer

I'll go back and re-visit it

As I will my old tuts.

So many things I should up-date

Edited by welshblue

No problem. Do you think this one is good enough to put in the gallery? It's a variation using a texture I found called pure rust. There are several layers (8) in the background and each letter has it's own layer for a total (9 layers). I wanted to try something different. The only thing I'm not sure of is this...the background might be too dark.

purerust2.jpg

Edited by uvah

Both very nice ipswichmanc ...

just to show you don't have to use fonts

ipswichmanc.jpg

... off to clean my screen now, after permanently spitting as I made that ... :P

Both very nice ipswichmanc ...

just to show you don't have to use fonts

ipswichmanc.jpg

... off to clean my screen now, after permanently spitting as I made that ... :P

Clean your screen and keep the art, as it is beautiful. ;)

You're welcome. I'm glad you've found it useful, that alone makes it worth while writing it.

One suggestion ? Maybe turn down the dial on your Noise levels ... I think that will help to make the Fragment Blur less busy.

But it's what you're happy with.

I would ask how happy you were after yesterdays footy ... but that would just be mean :P

I played and played and can't tell you how I eventually got this! Thanks for the fun tutorial! I hope it's okay to post almost a year later.

th_tweety.png

Good tut but tho I had trouble with the multi colour gradient so made my own gradient.

One of the best metal effects that I've found so far.