new Layers show up as background layers only

johndiv

I'm a newbie in using Paint.Net, so it may be something I am doing wrong. But I have 2 jpg files I want to merge on top of each other. When I do the "Import From File" on the tool bar, It automatically opens the the jpg file on the Background layer. Not only on the first one imported, but the subsequent files also. I was under the impression that this function "Import From File.." would automatically sequence the layers beginning with "Background", followed by 1, 2, 3 for each subsequent file being loaded. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong. Any help would really be appreciated.

Thanx,

Johndiv

Do you mean that when you import a file, the auto naming feature appends the term "Background" to each layer?

This repros for me (3.5.5 Win7 64bit).

Functionally you can ignore this as the name that appears is for your reference only. There is no functional difference between a layer named "Background", or "Fred" or "cbajbq3k" for that matter.

Just double click on the layer name (or press F4) and rename the layer by overtyping the name it was given when imported.

Whether a layer is "background" only affects Image->Canvas Size and how it decides to fill the new space when expanding the image's size.

Honestly this is a bit anachronistic and will probably be tossed away in v4.0. In Photoshop the background layer doesn't have an alpha channel (IIRC), which makes more sense, although I don't think I'll use that pattern.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

I'm a newbie in using Paint.Net, so it may be something I am doing wrong. But I have 2 jpg files I want to merge on top of each other. When I do the "Import From File" on the tool bar, It automatically opens the the jpg file on the Background layer. Not only on the first one imported, but the subsequent files also. I was under the impression that this function "Import From File.." would automatically sequence the layers beginning with "Background", followed by 1, 2, 3 for each subsequent file being loaded. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong. Any help would really be appreciated.

Thanx,

Johndiv