Stargate SG-1-Style Hyperspace

Mr.Bobert

First tut, so I apologize if I do something wrong.

We'll be creating a Stargate SG-1-ish Hyperspace funnel thing, that looks like this:
Hyperspace-1.jpg

First, open a new canvas, whatever size you want, really. I use the same size as my monitor's resolution, 1280x800.

Next, render some clouds on their default settings.
1-Clouds.jpg

After you have your clouds, pencil sketch them. (Effects-Artistic-Pencil Sketch) Set tip size and range both to 20.
2-Pencil.jpg

Next, run Zoom Blur. (Effects-Blurs-Zoom Blur) Don't use Zoom Blur Deluxe; It doesn't leave the picture as... patchy as the stock one.
3-Zoom.jpg

Now colorize it however you wish. I use a combination of Curves and Hue/Saturation. In Stargate, the colors of Hyperspace vary from season to season; purple, blue, green... I like purple the best.
4-Curves.jpg
5-HueSaturation.jpg
6-HueSaturation.jpg

Once you have your desired colors, create a new layer, and hide the first one. Move the new one to the bottom, and paint it black. Next, add some stars with Effects-Noise-Add Noise. I use the settings of Intensity-100, Color Saturation-0, Coverage-3.11.
7-Stars-1.jpg

Next we'll run Zoom Blur again, but at a much lower setting of 3.
8-Starzoom.jpg

Now unhide the hyperspace layer and set the blendmode to Glow, and you're done.

9-Finished-1.jpg
(Click to enlarge)

Wording/grammar edit 2/21/14 — I sounded like a bloody idiot four years ago.

Edited by Mr.Bobert

"Sir, we're surrounded!" "Excellent, we can attack from any direction."
1.png2.png3.png4.png

Nice, both of you. lol, Hexratt, reminds me of one of mine :P

TIEINHYPERSPACE-1-1.jpg

I tried to make it look like the light from hyperspace was sorta reflecting off'a the hull, and also tried to put a reflection of hyperspace in the cockpit viewport. Had some trouble with that part. But meh, I was just messin' around, having some fun :P

"Sir, we're surrounded!" "Excellent, we can attack from any direction."
1.png2.png3.png4.png

• 4 weeks later...

To Mr. Bobert,

For your creative tutorial and for being a Star Gate fan, I do hereby with great honor and gratitude award to you this Star Gate watch with an unfinished band, symbolizing that our journey is not yet complete. We have a long ways to go. May your voyage always bring you safe back home.

(Drum rolls)

thumb_sgwatchgold.png

Edited by hexratt
sighhexratt1.jpg