Promoting PDN in my speech class :D

Well, I was assigned a speech, about 30 minutes ago, on any topic that I want to persuade someone on something.

I chose PDN and graphic design.

>>completed<<

Yes, I will admit that I exagerrated on a few things, but all is good :D

Hidden Content: Here's my speech

Have you ever been to a website, played a game, and see all those cool graphics they use, or what about having your picture taken, and having it enhanced? If you have, odds are they were done in a graphic design program by someone skilled in graphics. Maybe you want to make some awesome stuff like these (Point to VA!!). Today, I’m going to tell you why you should go into graphic design, what program to use, and why.

1. Why should you go into graphic design?

a. You can be as creative and imaginative as you want

b. You can make money from it

i. Web designers pay for people to design logos and layouts for their sites

ii. People will pay to have pictures and images enhanced

c. It’s not hard to learn

i. Many tutorials you can read, ranging from short and easy to long and hard (it’s recommended you try the easy ones first)

ii. Most sites will put up manuals and help pages for new users

d. You can show off your skills to friends and family

i. Friends will be amazed at what cool things you can create

ii. Family will be amazed at what new skill you gained

2. What program should you use? Paint.NET. Here’s why:

a. It’s FREE!

i. Everyone likes free things

ii. Option to donate to the developer so he can keep adding more to this marvelous product!

b. Ability to download and use plug-ins

i. Greatly increase effectiveness of the program

ii. Made by the users, for the users

iii. Hundreds to choose from

c. Easy to use and learn

i. Hundreds of user-made tutorials, even some dedicated to new users

ii. Online help database, intricately describing what each standard tool, interface, and effect does

iii. Large community of very helpful and nice users who are willing to help any newcomer

d. Just as effective as highly expensive programs like Photoshop and PSP

i. With so many plug-ins, it’s basically like having a free version of Photoshop or PSP

1. Photoshop costs around $700 (photoshop site)

2. You have to order it and wait for shipping

3. PSP costs around $400 (paint shop pro site)

4. The reasons are clear, why would you pay $700 to get something you could get for free?

ii. Easier to learn than Pshop or PSP

1. Simple UI makes it easier to learn than photoshop’s cluttered and confusing UI

2. PSP doesn’t have many tutorials, and not a lot of help files

Hopefully now, you understand why graphic design is a great skill to have, and why you should use Paint.NET. Whether you are doing it because it’s fun, or because you want to make money, it’s still a very good skill to have. Next time you think about what you want to do when you’re bored, try doing graphic design; it’s easy to learn. Also, make sure you think before you go out and buy a program for $700 when there is a program like Paint.NET that does the same thing for free.

Works Cited

“Adobe Photoshop CS5” What is Photoshop? Adobe. 2010. Web. 26 May 2010 <http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/photoshop/whatisphotoshop/?sdid=GJYKH&>

Brewster, Rick. Paint.NET. dotPDN LLC. April 2010. Web. 26 May 2010. <http://www.getpaint.net>

Corel Painter 11. Corel Corporation. 2010. Web. 26 May 2010. <http://store1.corel.com/corel/product/index.jsp?pid=prod3430234>

Edited by Weylin

Finished intro and conclusion. Chrisco, this is a persuasive speech. I don't think informing people about my experience would be as persuasive as what I did. No offense, but it's just my personal thoughts. :)

Also replaced dashes with indent tags. Took awhile but looks way cleaner and easy to read.

Edited by Weylin

No problem, just an idea.

Last thing: I would make the questions bold, and enter where the next question comes. Like this:

Hidden Content: Weylin's Speech
Have you ever been to a website, played a game, and see all those cool graphics they use, or what about having your picture taken, and having it enhanced? If you have, odds are they were done in a graphic design program by someone skilled in graphics. Maybe you want to make some awesome stuff like these (Point to VA!!). Today, I’m going to tell you why you should go into graphic design, what program to use, and why.

1. Why should you go into graphic design?

a. You can be as creative and imaginative as you want

b. You can make money from it

ii. People will pay to have pictures and images enhanced

c. It’s not hard to learn

i. Many tutorials you can read, ranging from short and easy to long and hard (it’s recommended you try the easy ones first)

ii. Most sites will put up manuals and help pages for new users

d. You can show off your skills to friends and family

i. Friends will be amazed at what cool things you can create

ii. Family will be amazed at what new skill you gained

2. What program should you use? Paint.NET. Here’s why:

a. It’s FREE!

i. Everyone likes free things

ii. Option to donate to the developer so he can keep adding more to this marvelous product!

b. Ability to download and use plug-ins

i. Greatly increase effectiveness of the program

ii. Made by the users, for the users

iii. Hundreds to choose from

c. Easy to use and learn

i. Hundreds of user-made tutorials, even some dedicated to new users

ii. Online help database, intricately describing what each standard tool, interface, and effect does

iii. Large community of very helpful and nice users who are willing to help any newcomer

d. Just as effective as highly expensive programs like Photoshop and PSP

i. With so many plug-ins, it’s basically like having a free version of Photoshop or PSP

1. Photoshop costs around $700 (photoshop site)

2. You have to order it and wait for shipping

3. PSP costs around $400 (paint shop pro site)

4. The reasons are clear, why would you pay $700 to get something you could get for free?

ii. Easier to learn than Pshop or PSP

1. Simple UI makes it easier to learn than photoshop’s cluttered and confusing UI

2. PSP doesn’t have many tutorials, and not a lot of help files

Hopefully now, you understand why graphic design is a great skill to have, and why you should use Paint.NET. Whether you are doing it because it’s fun, or because you want to make money, it’s still a very good skill to have. Next time you think about what you want to do when you’re bored, try doing graphic design; it’s easy to learn. Also, make sure you think before you go out and buy a program for $700 when there is a program like Paint.NET that does the same thing for free.

Edited by chrisco97

I like this part:

Shouldn't that be "People pay for web designers to design logos and layouts for their sites"?

"The truth is just an excuse for having a lack of imagination."

Photobucket sucks!

a lot of your statements are not completely the truth. you should maybe try to see this from a PSP or Pshop perspective.

Yes, I will admit that I exagerrated on a few things, but all is good :D

Last thing: I would make the questions bold, and enter where the next question comes. Like this:

The outline format doesn't matter. I'm actually presenting the speech which is what I'm going to be graded on.

Shouldn't that be "People pay for web designers to design logos and layouts for their sites"?

Actually shouldn't it be "Web developers pay people to design logos and layouts for their sites"?

I knot this still is a bit off, but it's for promotional reasons :D

Edited by Weylin