transparency gradients end with hard edge

Hi folks,

I've been playing around with gradients in PDN and I'm sure this is a noob question, but I'm seeing a problem.

I have an image. I want it to be completely transparent on one edge, then a transparency gradient to the opposite edge, where it is completely opaque. Seems a very common thing to do.

But there always is a faintly visible hard edge between the point where the image is visible and completely transparent. It fades to nearly transparent, then suddenly becomes transparent. Against a solid color background, it looks very obvious. How do I fix this? I tried a gaussian blur over the edge and it's still there. But I guess that wouldn't effect the transparency, anyway.

Help?

Thanks a bunch!

Alden

Some screen shots would help (they always help in my opinion)...

But anyway, are your primary and secondary colors set to black and white?

do you have any other layers with images?

"The truth is just an excuse for having a lack of imagination."

Photobucket sucks!

You mean the gradient? That's what a gradient is, a fade between two things.

If your not looking for this, I would use the selection tool: :RectangleSelectTool::LassoSelectTool::EllipseSelectTool:

And than invert the selection, than delete it and possibly ant-alias it.

Or am I missing something?

Edited by himself22

"The truth is just an excuse for having a lack of imagination."

Photobucket sucks!

On my monitor, I see an abrupt edge between the blue background image and the white background. Yes, it is faint, but it is definitely noticeable. There are 2 linear gradients on the image -- one vertical and one horizontal. This has created a perfect asymptotic line along both x and y axes. Do you see it? It's easiest to see on the web link.

AldenG

Try changing your monitor settings because it is perfectly fine on my computer...absolutely beautiful

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

You got me wondering if I was seeing things :roll:

So I checked the web site on a different monitor (my crappy one) and I can't see the line. Only on my good monitor. Maybe I can hope my client has an old monitor. ;)

I guess you answered my question, though. I was wondering if there was something I was doing wrong, but I think I was doing it right. I will post here if I find a way to get a smoother transition to 100% transparency.

Thanks Himself22!

AldenG