Plugin translation scheme: including code

Still getting the hang of GitHub.. what's 'forking'?

Creating another project using the same code.

And how do you add comments to our repository? :red:

What kind of comments? If there's a problem that needs fixing, create an issue. If you want to add a note when editing, fill in the "commit message" box.

KaHuc.png

Here's a better French translation (because as always, automatic translators don't work well) :

fr:color=Couleur

fr:size=Taille

fr:delay=Délai

fr:forever=Toujours

fr:milliseconds=Millisecondes

fr:loop=Boucle (if it is a verb, it's "Faire une boucle")

fr:border=Bord

fr:intensity=Intensité

fr:tolerance=Tolérance

fr:show x-axis edges=Afficher les bords de l'axe X

fr:show y-axis edges=Afficher les bords de l'axe Y

fr:family=Famille

fr:angle=Angle

fr:cancel=Annuler

fr:print=Imprimer

fr:speed=Vitesse

fr:install=Installer

fr:undo=Annuler

fr:redo=Répéter

fr:reset=Réinitialiser

fr:browse=Parcourir

fr:new=Nouveau

fr:use account=Utiliser le compte

fr:account info=Informations du compte

fr:uploading=Hébergement

fr:top=Haut

fr:bottom=Bas

fr:left=Gauche

fr:right=Droite

fr:show x-axis edges=Afficher les bords de l'axe X

fr:show y-axis edges=Afficher les bords de l'axe Y

fr:uploading=Hébergement

"fr:show x-axis edges=Afficher les bords de l'axe X"

"fr:show y-axis edges=Afficher les bords de l'axe Y"

These are not correct. If you write that, a french might wonder "Qu'est-ce que c'est que les bords d'un axe?".

Actually, the concept of "edges of an axis" is bit new to me. If it means "show horizontal/vertival edges", then it is "Afficher les bords horizontaux/verticaux".

"fr:uploading" is not easy.

"Téléchargement" means both "uploading" and "downloading" (if you analyse the word it's like "remote loading"), so it's technically correct, however it's predominantly used for "downloading", so it's probably not a good translation.

You can say "téléchargement montant" but it's rarely used, and sounds very much technical.

"Hébergement" rather means "hosting".

I think you'd better say "Envoyer vers" (send to) or "Mise en ligne" (put online).

It'd be good to have screenshots and a small text about it in order to translate them better.

"fr:show x-axis edges=Afficher les bords de l'axe X"

"fr:show y-axis edges=Afficher les bords de l'axe Y"

These are not correct. If you write that, a french might wonder "Qu'est-ce que c'est que les bords d'un axe?".

Actually, the concept of "edges of an axis" is bit new to me. If it means "show horizontal/vertival edges", then it is "Afficher les bords horizontaux/verticaux".

"fr:uploading" is not easy.

"Téléchargement" means both "uploading" and "downloading" (if you analyse the word it's like "remote loading"), so it's technically correct, however it's predominantly used for "downloading", so it's probably not a good translation.

You can say "téléchargement montant" but it's rarely used, and sounds very much technical.

"Hébergement" rather means "hosting".

I think you'd better say "Envoyer vers" (send to) or "Mise en ligne" (put online).

It'd be good to have screenshots and a small text about it in order to translate them better.

...Indeed, maybe I was too focused on translating using the same words as the English ones. The main problem here is that we don't have any context - where is that going to be used ? If it is to show horizontal/vertical edges, then you're right.

However, I still think my translation of "Uploading" is a good one - look at all the French image hosting sites. They all talk about "hébergement", and since "uploading" is in a continuous tense, I think it will be shown while an image is being hosted.

+1 for the comment and screenshots - translating without knowing what it should mean is much more difficult.

You mean screenshots of a translated plugin?

I mean, you should have a word document, with a section for every piece of text to translate containing (a) screenshot(s) of forms where it appears, the english text to translate and a paragraph explaining the context (what it means, how do you get to that form, to what form you will go, what is the form for, if it's a button, what will happen when you click the button, etc... no need to be exhaustive, but complete enough so that the translator doesn't have to wonder what the english text really mean).

You could also have an excel doc with all translations.

A column with string ids and one with culture codes.

Like:

........................... en_US ..... en_UK ...... fr_fr

strUploading Uploading... Uploading... Envoie en cours...

strSave Save

strQuit Quit

etc...

Ideally, you'd have a package for translators, with everything they need to translate, and procedure explaining what they should return to you and how.

• 8 months later...