Sign in to follow this  
rautamiekka

Suggestions x6 |2nd batch

1) FUNCTIONALITY/USABILITY IDEA: After duplicating/adding/importing a layer, automatically bring up the "Layer Properties" window with the layer name highlighted in case of the user wanting to change it but he can simply hit Enter if he doesn't. This saves the user some time having to manually bring it up.

2) FUNCTIONALITY IDEA: Allow placing teleports which let you to return to the place on the pic you were in. This saves time on small-med/med/large pics finding the spot you were at after zooming out, for example.

3) FUNCTIONALITY/STABILITY/USABILITY IDEA: Just like Google Chrome makes separate processes of each tab, PDN should make separate processes of operations+pics in order to gain+maintain higher stability by isolating possible crashing caused by operations on one pic. In practise this would mean that PDN itself is the so-called master process which gives orders to spawned operation processes and monitors their progress, letting the user to tell PDN to terminate a crashed subprocess just like Google Chrome lets.

4) STABILITY _POSSIBLE_ IDEA: The #3 idea might be capable of expanding to contain a bunch of pixels in separate processes (which is backed up by central storage process containing them all) for higher stability; if a process containing a bunch of pixels crashes, the process can be terminated and new one spawned by central storage process on order from PDN; if the crashing of the processes of the specific pixels happens 3 times, central storage process refuses to spawn new ones and tells PDN to ask the user to save the work -> shutdown PDN -> load the work.

5) USABILITY IDEA: Add an indication of something happening into the area of layer icons without erasing the icon if it has one before the processing is done.

6) PERFORMANCE/MEMORY IDEA: PDN should cache the layer icons on disk and call for the icon for all layers which have the same pic; if any of the layers use same icon except for under 50% diff', still use the cached but keep note of the changes which PDN adds during call for the icon; if there is at least 50% diff, cache the diff' icon if it's more worth it than caching one icon & making note of the differences.

Well, while reading this I am keen on how the develop team will react.

But rautamiekka, you should have edited your first post in your first topic and added this ideas ;-) Do you have any experience with programming in .NET?

1) FUNCTIONALITY/USABILITY IDEA: After duplicating/adding/importing a layer, automatically bring up the "Layer Properties" window with the layer name highlighted in case of the user wanting to change it but he can simply hit Enter if he doesn't. This saves the user some time having to manually bring it up.

This would cost me time, as I usually don't want Layer Properties

immediately after duplicating/adding/importing a layer.

Much better to occasionally hit F4, than to have to hit Enter every time.

Well, while reading this I am keen on how the develop team will react.

But rautamiekka, you should have edited your first post in your first topic and added this ideas ;-) Do you have any experience with programming in .NET?

I made separate threads 'cuz I came to these ideas far later.

All my experience with dotNET is several attempts with VBdotNET which sucked. Honestly telling, I don't want to be taking part in dotNET.

This would cost me time, as I usually don't want Layer Properties

immediately after duplicating/adding/importing a layer.

Much better to occasionally hit F4, than to have to hit Enter every time.

That's your opinion :)

Honestly telling, I don't want to be taking part in dotNET.

Well, I think everybody can't get the chance here exept the people who are doing it right now ;-) I just asked because I thought you might have any experiences with this and concrete ideas how to realize your ideas :-D

Well, I think everybody can't get the chance here exept the people who are doing it right now ;-) I just asked because I thought you might have any experiences with this and concrete ideas how to realize your ideas :-D

Not concrete ideas but I have ability allowing me to make plans like I had concrete ideas. That's why I'll help anyhow I can.

Honestly most of these are bad ideas. Some of them don't even make sense, like the ones in the first thread talking about performance? I wouldn't claim something improves performance unless you have an example of where it's already been implemented, along with benchmarks. Others are just overkill, like these ideas to have elaborate shared memory contraptions and caching layer thumbnails that aren't different enough.

Honestly most of these are bad ideas. Some of them don't even make sense, like the ones in the first thread talking about performance? I wouldn't claim something improves performance unless you have an example of where it's already been implemented, along with benchmarks. Others are just overkill, like these ideas to have elaborate shared memory contraptions and caching layer thumbnails that aren't different enough.

You're telling me to make benchmarks with stuff I can't do ? Test before testing ? Or maybe no idea is good when it's not yours ?

You're underestimating me. Thinking I make random ideas without thinking of how real it can be.

Edited by rautamiekka

Claiming things would be faster simply because you had a clever idea does not mean it would actually end up faster.

I don't believe I'm underestimating you. I'm simply responding with my opinions on the ideas you've listed.

Or maybe no idea is good when it's not yours ?

Ooookay man. :roll:

Thread Closed