Selection issue

Goonfella

I`m not sure if this is a PDN problem or a plug in problem so I decided to post here in General Discussions & Questions. Please forgive me if it is the wrong place.

Anyway , I was using the Star plug in by MadJik and before I did so I made an elliptical selection on the image where I wanted the star to be. Then I used the plug in. This is where the problems started. While I was adjusting the settings the spokes of the star were contained within the selection but when I clicked on OK they protruded out beyond it which was not what I expected. So I decided to go back to before I used the plug in and try doing a similar thing on a new layer. The part within the selection was removed but the spokes outside the selection remained instead of disappearing and leaving the image as it was originally.

So there are two things wrong here -

1. The spokes of the star should have been contained within the selection but weren`t.

2. Using the history in PDN did not work to remove all effects of the plug in.

Fortunately this was not a lengthy project or it could easily have been ruined. OK you say save regularly but there are times when effects are difficult and sometimes impossible to reproduce. This could easily have been one of those times. I have included a screenshot to show exactly my problem.

selectionissue.jpg

Please feel free to visit my Gallery on PDNFans

And my Alternatives to PDN

Does the same thing for me.

So, the work-around is to put the star on its own

layer, then invert selection, Delete?

Definitely bug-like behaviour.

This could just be a misbehaved plugin.Did you know, if a plugin WRITES to the SRC surface, undo won't work?

No I never knew that. Thanks for enlightening me BoltBait. ;)

Ironically I was trying to do exactly as you suggested there Sarkut, but by then it was too late. At least now I know for the future.

Thanks for the help guys. ;)

Please feel free to visit my Gallery on PDNFans

And my Alternatives to PDN

Did you know, if a plugin WRITES to the SRC surface, undo won't work?

If a plugin writes to the source surface, it should crash when used in Paint.NET v3.5 or later, because the memory pages are set to read-only with VirtualProtect().

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg