Sign in to follow this  
AvE

1603 Error

Hello,

Like another post that I have read, I am getting a 1603 error upon installation. I was prompted to update an otherwise perfectly good program when it hit the 1603 error. I have followed the advice of setting the folder permissions, I have windows vista 32 bit. I have SP-2, i have the NET framework installed and turned on. I have tried making its own PDN folder outside of the program files, I have tried installing it in documents have done the Repair, i have done the installer cleanup.

Does anyone have any other suggestions on how to get this to work? I love paint.net

Edited by AvE

AvE,

You could try repairing/re-installing the NET Framework.

=========================================================

You could try running chkdsk, with the /f parameter, from the command line.

chkdsk with /f parameter

When the scan has completed, make a screenshot of the Command window

showing the results of the scan.

Upload the image to http://imageshack.us/ and post the Direct Link here.

======================================================

After the chkdsk scan, reboot your PC before running the Paint.Net installer again.

======================================================

http://www.take-a-screenshot.org/

Thank you for your response. I am a developer and use .NET daily, so I know there is nothing wrong with my .NET framework, and I don't believe are errors on my HD...I wish I hadn't chose to upgrade Paint .NET. I'm gonna miss ya.

Hi, I got similar error during installation. Installer would almost complete, and then backs up to uninstall all. It looked like during the association of the extensions to paint.net app, it is failing. During uninstallation of previous version, i got similar error. Suspected that my antivirus (McAfee) might be coming in the way, i disabled the "access protection" and installation worked fine. Access protection seems to be protecting any changes to registries and i suspect when the registry could not be modified, Paint.Net installation fails. It looks like the error is a way of saying "Access Denied". hope this helps.

I had the same problem on a XP-Pro / SP3 / .Net 3.5 / .Net 4.0 system.

I decided to remove the existing PdN installation with Revo Uninstaller.

PdN's standard uninstaller choked (couldn't complete its task) and consequently Revo took care of removing all PdN remnants.

After that PdN 3.5.5 installed just fine.

Stephan