Sign in to follow this  
chrisco97

Sig Battles: Discussion

Lol, I have been gone so long I forgot all about the discussion thread. If this tells you anything, I thought I was still a co-host of the competition. I had no clue Minners had been put in charge of the competition. It should be his say, sorry for the inconvenience guys. My fault. I just thought (this is when I thought I was still a co-host) that it would be better to shut down the competition since neither one of us original hosts are really active anymore and the competition is slowly becoming more and more unorganized (once again, not knowing somebody else was running it). I should have checked the thread and I am deeply sorry for spamming the thread. Let's end the discussion here and let the competition continue. ;)

Imitation is flattery ... so on that score it would be wrong of me to pick a favourite.  I like them both for different reasons

I give both lots of   :star: 's

I want to say my words about Nai's entry, because I think that his entry is completely fine. A sig is meant to be something personal in the first place, if he finds the MH17 disaster really important, he may make a sig about it. The sig doesn't violate forum rules, because it doesn't offense anyone.

If I want to make a PETA sig because I'm a die-hard veganist, why shouldn't I be allowed to do so?

Iif he finds the MH17 disaster really important, he may make a sig about it. 

If I was to find something really important, I would not enter a competition with my beliefs in order to score points. There is a lot of things I feel very strongly about that may or may not offend people, but I for one would not enter a competition with a design based on it.

Yes the MH17 Disaster IS terrible and important, but I would have been more impressed if Nai had made a signature remembering the 298 innocent souls who died. 

Edited by DrewDale

Yes the MH17 Disaster IS terrible and important, but I would have been more impressed if Nai had made a signature remembering the 298 innocent souls who died. 

Dear Drewdale,

Before going even further, FYI, I come from the same 'nest' as that fateful 'bird'. There're nothing more terrible than seeing your country flag lied on the ground and burned in flame, but not able to extinguish the fire. Only God does know.

Reading your last sentence, I think and dare to bet that you didn't see what I have posted in these two threads :

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/29326-sotw111-submissions-clouds/

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/29341-expressing-sympathies-and-concerns-to-those-onboard-malaysia-airlines-flight-mh17/

I want to say my words about Nai's entry, because I think that his entry is completely fine. A sig is meant to be something personal in the first place, if he finds the MH17 disaster really important, he may make a sig about it. The sig doesn't violate forum rules, because it doesn't offense anyone.

If I want to make a PETA sig because I'm a die-hard veganist, why shouldn't I be allowed to do so?

Thanks chimay12321 ! But that doesn't stop me from withdrawing.

Oh yeah, I feel 20 pounds lighter after the withdrawal.

Edited by Nai

Yes I did read both threads. If I recall the clouds entry one, I gave it a Rep point, very good image :)

Our country has had it's flag burned during many conflicts and our service men have died in large numbers, personally I pay my respects in a different way - Fund raising for Help the heroes, attending services for fallen troops based in the middle east - and not by entering a competition with my thoughts. 

You are twisting this around as if I am someone with no feelings, I have deepest sympathy for all on board that flight, no matter what country they came from, no matter what their religion / colour / background / creed, they did not deserve to die. I am on your side 100% with that.

Edited by DrewDale

So what happens now with this current sig battle ?  does the host remove the votes / comments so far and start back as my entry being the first entered ? Rule #9 seems to state that :/

Don't know if it qualifies, but I'll throw my Sig in the ring. If not, never mind.....

The plane probably is not usable because Paint.NET was used in just a portion of the creation. But this one is 100% PDN:

If you haven't yet, read the first post on the first page of the sig battles to know the rules.

And for my understanding...

Most of the signature battle is based on whichever sig people like most, but it is still a "paint.net" battle. I do not know how much of pdn was used for the plane sig, but I think if a good portion of a sig is pdn, and if you tell what parts are pdn, then any entry should be ok.

I personally would vote on the pdn parts since this is a pdn battle. And although I don't think you used any photos, I do want to mention that I would also vote on photos that were edited or manipulated using pdn, since photo editing and photo manipulation takes a talent of it's own. But, what sparks my votes is very different from what sparks other peoples votes. Some people are strict and only like 100% pdn. Some people are visual and don't care how the sig was made, if it looks good, then it looks good, simple as that. Others are all about effort, if they can see effort was put into the sig, then that's what impresses them.

For any paint.net competition though, it's up to you on what you enter. I normally don't enter for the sake of votes, I enter anything because it's fun just to enter and play. :)

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles

My question would be the same one Cc4FuzzyHuggles asked: How much of racerx's plane and cloud scene was produced using PDN? If it was most of it, then that was a very impressive use of PDN, and the entry should be included. If PDN was, say, only used to combine frames produced with a 3D rendering program, then the sig may still be impressive, but it's only a trivial use of PDN.

Paint.net was only used to make the Prop + motion blur and my logo just under the window. The plane itself is model 3-D made about 8 years ago. The clouds were animation stock which I reversed. The actual animating of all pieces was done in Aviutl (free FX editor). That's why I wouldn't include it. It doesn't matter anyway, I'm not tying to win, only supporting it.

Wow, cool. It sounds like you used a verity of programs and resources to make your plane picture, and it turned out really nice. Good job. :)

And yeah, as I said before, I don't enter to win either, I enter because it's just fun to participate. I look forward to you still entering competitions and joining the fun. I like your art, so I hope to see more of it in future comps. :)

If PDN was, say, only used to combine frames produced with a 3D rendering program, then the sig may still be impressive, but it's only a trivial use of PDN.

Many entries are made from images made with other programs or by other artists and only combined using paint.net and are ok to enter. CC's entry in the alphabet comp was a perfect example of this and she won a second place with it.   So why not his?     ;)

Perhaps if he posted the links like others do it would be alright?  I'm confused here.  

Edited by skullbonz