Sign in to follow this  
Mike Ryan

[Official] SpreadPaint.NET - Now Officially Open

It's not finished yet. The jQuery I created worked perfectly fine in Firefox and Chrome, but made all the content disappear in Opera and wigged out IE so badly that the program locked up. Obviously more testing is needed before it goes live. ;)

localhost...

I really do wish it was that easy. The fact of the matter is that it isn't. You cannot execute a .PHP file from a localhost. You literally have to install the PHP client to a server install, and I have no plans to create a local server install as I do not have systems available to dedicate to this. It'd be easier, yes, but a lot more work. I don't get anymore than twenty to forty hits a day on the site, so it wasn't too big of a problem. It has been fixed, and the modifications will be deployed when the script is ready.

You could try uploading a new copy of the website to spreadpaint.net/test. As long as you're using all relative links, you should be fine.

Most links are relative. I'm going to create a test install of WordPress and port over the theme and plugins. I don't want a testing ground to be plugged into the same database the main site is using.

I really do wish it was that easy. The fact of the matter is that it isn't. You cannot execute a .PHP file from a localhost. You literally have to install the PHP client to a server install, and I have no plans to create a local server install as I do not have systems available to dedicate to this. It'd be easier, yes, but a lot more work. I don't get anymore than twenty to forty hits a day on the site, so it wasn't too big of a problem. It has been fixed, and the modifications will be deployed when the script is ready.

XAMPP lets you install Apache, PHP and MySQL at the same time.

I don't want a testing ground to be plugged into the same database the main site is using.

What stops you creating a test copy of the database?

I don't want a testing ground to be plugged into the same database the main site is using.

What stops you creating a test copy of the database?

Good idea. That'll save me some time.

I've got a question for you guys:

As many of you are aware by the ads on SpreadPaint.NET, trying to pay for server costs is a priority of mine. I'm changing my host in July to support a number of new features I plan on implementing. However, ADS SUCK. I hate ads, you hate ads, we all hate ads! As such, I've been exploring alternative methods of generating revenue. One of these ideas was premium content (ugh, I know) but hear me out on this!

An example would be a tutorial. Simply by being a registered member (free of charge) you can view a complete version of the tutorial along with a streaming video that goes through the tutorial step-by-step. By purchasing the tutorial (1$-5$), you get an in-depth version of the tutorial in the PDF and ePUB formats, the video in high-def, and PDN source files. So my question is if you might have an interest in purchasing this content, or if you have other suggestions.