Erase Grays in white background

I am taking portraits with a white seamless background with the goal being a background that is entirely white. Unless enough light is on the background, though, some areas typically end up being not quite white. It's easy to clean up the open areas, but what's the best tool/plug-in for cleaning up around the person/object being photgraphed? I have seen the "dodge" tool used in Photoshop for this but don't see anything identical in the built-in tools of Paint.net and there are too many plug-ins to dig through them all. The "Re-color" tool seems to work but I'm not sure if this is the best tool. I'm sure more than one would work but I'm hoping there is one that is best suited for this.

Thanks!

HI,

I don't have any of my pictures posted online but here is a good example of the type of work I'm trying to do (though this is not my post). As you can see, at the very least the floor and sometimes the background (depending on light positioning) ends up not pure white. The goal is to render the entire background and floor white without erasing the shadow of the subject as it helps "ground" the subject to keep it from looking like it's floating.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/sho ... p?t=837050

Again, I know the "Recolor" tool could be used for this, and I know there are probably a dozen other ways to do it. I'm just wondering what the best way is, maybe the recolor tool is best. If you can develop a plug-in that would work better than anything else currently out there, that would be great.

I think Curves+ is the easiest way to get natural results. I only had to use the paint brush to get rid of the little dark piece on the middle left border...

e6y3cw.png

After------:-----Before

DISCLAIMER: You may have to make a selection that avoids any light/white areas (e.g., eyes, teeth, highlights, porcelain toilets...etc.) in the object as they would be made brighter by this process.

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster