Sign in to follow this  
L3ron

L3ron's fingerprint tutorial

I dunno where to put: Newbie's Playground or Creations :-)

===================================================================

L3ron's fingerprint tutorial

I'll do something like this:

13.png

Feel free to comment and post your tryouts!

0.) Check if you have installed these plugins:

Gaussian Blur+ by BoltBait Click here!

Optional:

Align Objects by moc426 Click here!

Diagonal Lines by jsonchiu Click here!

I'd used PDN v.3.5.4. For any earlier version you also need Crystallize (Ed Harvey Effect) Click here!

1.) Open a new Image :New: with a size of your mind (I've chosen 400x400px) and fill it :PaintBucket: with WHITE

2.) Create a new layer :AddNewLayer:, call it Base and choose the elipse tool :EllipseTool: and turn antialiasing off :AntiAliasingEnabled: -> :AntiAliasingDisabled: and to draw filled shape :ShapeInterior:. Now create an ellipse in the middle of your layer 'Base', you might use Align Objects ( Effects -> Align Objects ) to center the ellipse.

01.png

3.) Select the ellipse with the magic wand tool :MagicWandTool:.

1. #1: Now change your primary colour BLACK.
    Now run Diagonal Lines diag_line.png( Effects -> Render -> Diagonal Lines ). Make sure that you have checked Use Primary Colour. For the extra preferences I recommend you to use 5 for Interval and 0 for Brush Width.
    My settings:
    02.png
    03.png

• #2: Alternatively you may use the paint bucket tool :PaintBucket: and switch the fill mode to Horizontal. Be sure that your Primary color is BLACK and your secondary color is WHITE with a transparency alpha of 0. Than hit the selected area.
    01_a.png
    01_b.png

4.) Now activate the layer Base, dublicate it :DuplicateLayer:, invert the colours :InvertColorsEffect: ( Adjustments -> Invert Colors ) and open the layer's properties :Properties: of the dublicated (top) layer and change the blend mode to Color Dodge.

For a moment you will just see white! Than run Gaussian Blur+ gau_blur.png( Effects -> Blurs -> Gaussian Blur+ ) with an amount of 2 and check Use opaque alpha .

04.png

05.png

5.) Now merge :MergeLayerDown: the dublicated and Base layer and run Chrystalize cry.png with Cell size and Quality of 2.

06.png

07.png

6.) Now deselect selection :Deselect: and run Twist twi.png ( Effects -> Distort -> Twist ). Now it's your choise with which settings you will run the effect. I would recommend you not to have an amount / direction about 12 / lower -12, a size of 1 and quality of 5. The rest is something you should play with - you may repeat the twist with several settings.

After the first Twist:

09.png

After the second Twist

10.png

After the first Twist:

11.png

7.) If you aren't happy with the form of your fingerprint you may add a new layer :AddNewLayer: and move it to the top position :MoveLayerUp:. Change the primary color tho WHITE.

Now use the paintbrush tool :PaintBrushTool: with a width about 50 and antialiasing enabled :AntiAliasingEnabled: and draw line around the fingerprint (the brush need to overlay with it's third to have a real nice effect).

This is how it could look like (I deselected the background layer):

12.png

8.) Now run Gaussian Blur+ gau_blur.png( Effects -> Blurs -> Gaussian Blur+ ) with an amount about 30 (you need to decide which amount you want to choose) and uncheck Use opaque alpha

This is the final result:

13.png

88x31.png

All my works and tutorials are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License Germany.

Version history:

2nd edit: Updated images etc.

1st edit: Some minor changes of the layout.

Edited by L3ron

AWESOME! You know me, (more than likely not) I am a Sherlock Holmes fan, and I had to do this tutorial. I will post my outcome later. Thanks for the tut!

Okay, I didn't use the blur at the end, because I didn't like that. So, here is mine. I didn't follow all of the steps. I hope you don't mind.

nlxNMhDAzFTdA3SW1GLI6Q17871

This tutorial gave me an idea for my newest sig! Thanks!

Okay, I didn't use the blur at the end, because I didn't like that. So, here is mine. I didn't follow all of the steps. I hope you don't mind.

nlxNMhDAzFTdA3SW1GLI6Q17871

This tutorial gave me an idea for my newest sig! Thanks!

No, I don't mind. Tutorial doesn't mean that you will be forced to do all the steps if you start with it ;-)

Nice outcome!

I love this tutorial. It is very nice with a great, and I mean GREAT outcome! I love it! Really looks like a fingerprint! I posted it in my gallery under "Misc. Images."

Sign in to follow this