Saved image doesn't show cropped close-up or is different

souwesterly

I bet this these are questions that have come up before, because they've been happening to me ever since I first used Paint.net some 4 - 5 years ago.

There are two anomolies.....

I sell on eBay and take photos of items for sale. I use the photo editor to crop the pictures and also to reduce the size in the process - it takes a lifetime to upload a 12Mg photo onto eBay!

However, quite often, I find that the saved photo appears the same size as the original - it doesn't show the cropped close-up.

However, when I click on it, it does......

And there's a further related strange effect.

If I'm editing a whole series of photos, quite often the photo, when saved back on my computer, will show a different picture.

But again, when I click on it, the correct photo appears.

Usually the picture is the next one in the series - but not always.

Please can someone solve these problems for me.

PS In case anyone wonders why I haven't raised the matter before - well, it's like most things - you get used to it....! :( :?

Sometimes - but not consistently......

At one time (probably when I first started using Paint.net) I seem to remember being offered that advice and I followed it - with (mainly) good results.

So, of late, I've taken to renaming all my images before I crop them....but to no general avail.

(What that has solved is that I now know the subject of a photo even if it shows up incorrectly!)

The problem isn't constant. Sometimes I can run through a whole batch (30-50 usually) of photos without any problem....but then last night, the problems both arose quite extensively.

I had 96 photos of about 25 items to edit and decided to rename them all. Having done so, I changed my view (this is all in Window Explorer), from thumbnails to details, so that I could relist them in alphabetical order.

I changed the view back to thumbnails and then opened the Paint.net editing tool.

Then when I opened the file, I found that the first two photos had changed themselves into another item from well down the batch. They were still named correctly but were dislayed wrongly.

When I brought them up for editing they were the right pictures....

Looking at my Explorer folder, this error was now evident there too.....

It had made me think that it was a Windows Explorer problem (rather than Paint.net) but it only happens when I edit photos.

I'm beginning to get confused myself.... :?

Hi Rick - Hmmmm - I'll have to look into that....

souwesterly,

If you are using XP, you can try this:

In the top menu:

Tools > Folder Options > View tab

Tick - "Show hidden files and folders

Remove checkmark from:

Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)

> Apply > OK.

You should now be able to see a file named - Thumbs.db

Delete the file.

This will force XP to rebuild the .db file next time that folder is opened.

Don't know if it will fix the embedded .jpg thumbnail issue.

Thanks Sarkut

Tried that and something seems to work.

First time I reopened Paint.net the stored images remained the same size as the original....but only the first two.

Thereafter it behaved itself.

I couldn't find the thumbs.db file but instead there's a tick box - Do not cache thumbnails.

I ticked that and hoped!

Problem (at least temporarily) solved but I'll come back in a few days when I do another batch of pix, if the same problem arises.

Typically another problem came up - insufficient storage space. Had to stop editing.

Easy!!! :D

Simply close Paint.net and reopen it again. Storage emptied.....at least I think so!

Or at least I was able to proceed again without any problem....

Oh well........!!! :?