Sign in to follow this  
L3ron

L3ron's C4D-like 'glowing lines' tutorial

Hey, this is my first tut. I dunno where to put: Newbie's Playground or Creations :-)

===================================================================

L3ron's C4D-like 'glowing lines'

I'll do something like this:

end_small.png

Feel free to comment and post your tryouts!

Click on the pictures to get a bigger version!

0.) Check if you have installed these plugins:

• Color Flip/Rotate by Ed Harvey
Click here!
Gaussian Blur+ by BoltBait Click here!
Random Lines by MadJik Click here!
Zoom Blur Deluxe by dake Click here!
(You may use the PDN-built in effect Zoom Blur ( Effects -> Blurs -> Zoom Blur ) but I recommend dake's effect because it work's much nicer!)

1.) Open a new Image :New: with a size of your mind (I've chosen 800x600px) and fill it :PaintBucket: with BLACK

2.) Create a new layer :AddNewLayer:, call it Colour and start "Random Lines" ico_rand_lines.png ( Effects -> Render -> Random Lines ).

Check Random Alpha chanels, Clamp lines to the borders, Continouse (linked) lines, Anti-Aliasing and Draw Curves!

Now you need to play with the quantity and thickness of the lines untill you are happy. If you are, use the button Reseed to have the line's agglomeration in the center of the picture and click OK.

These are my adjustments:

rand_lines.png

And my result:

after_rand_line_small.png

3.) Dublicate the layer Colour :DuplicateLayer: and call it White. Now activate the Colour-layer and use Gaussian Blur+ ico_gaussian_blur.png ( Effects -> Blurs -> Gaussian Blur+ ) with a radius about 5 and check Use most upaque alpha. Now turn the Blend Mode to Multiply and hit OK.

after_blur_small.png

4.) Now activate the layer Colour and use Color Flip/Rotate ( Effects -> Color -> Color Flip/Rotate ) to change the colour to the one you want it to be.

after_colour_change_small.png

5.) Now open the layer's properties :Properties: of White and change the visibility to a value about 130 and the blend mode to Additive.

after_prop_change_small.png

6.) Merge :MergeLayerDown: the layers White and Colour.

7.) Use Zoom Blur Deluxe ico_zoom_blur_deluxe.png ( Effects -> Blurs -> Zoom Blur Deluxe ) with quality level High checked. Use yor own adjustments to get the best result.

These are mine:

zoom_blur_deluxe.png

And my result:

end_small.png

EXTRA TOUCH UP:

8.) You may repeat step 7 to get glowing lines which look much mor like a C4D.

After the second Zoom Blur Deluxe:

end_more_small.png

The clue: If you want to have cool signatures like in these tutorials (1), (2) or (3) you can use your "C4Ds" to give it the final touch - without the black background colour :P

88x31.png

All my works and tutorials are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License Germany.

Version history:

7th edit: All links and stuff were updated.

4th, 5th and 6th edit: Updating of layout and correction of spelling.

3rd edit: Some minor things changed.

2nd edit: Plugins added.

1st edit: Some minor changes of the layout.

Edited by L3ron

As of Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:20 pm the images aren't showing up. Clicking on the clickables reports that the "The page cannot be displayed".

This may be a transient problem, but if it persists you may have to consider another hosting option?

As of Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:20 pm the images aren't showing up. Clicking on the clickables reports that the "The page cannot be displayed".

This may be a transient problem, but if it persists you may have to consider another hosting option?

Well, there have been some troubles with the webspace but it should work now ;-)

I've also added the plugins you need 8)

Okay, thank you for your nice comments.

I've made some other examples for this effect (My avatar and signature also contain this effect):

01_small.png

00_erg.png

02_small.png

00_erg.png

03_small.png

00_erg.png

04_small.png

00_erg.png

Where can i get the Random lines extention. i just re-downloaded the latest version and it doesnt show up. Can you link to the download?boltbait.hmm.png

Well, the last version of this plugin is part of a bigger pack. You'll find more information here!

Where is the color layer? ):

It's the layer that you made the random lines on. You duplicate that layer, title one copy 'white', and leave it white, then title the other copy 'color' and use the 'color flip' effect to change the color.

nice tut.i have a question, is it possibale to use this with some text to make a logo?i would finaly have one!

Yes it is. Just type in your text and do step 3 to 6. Now dublicate this edited text and run ZoomBlur with different adjustments :D

Very nice effect. I like it's simplicity and it may catch on.

I know this is off topic, But im kinda new to PDN. only an intermediate. Where can i find a tutorial to do effects on your light rays like that?

Sign in to follow this