Suggestion for Plug-In?

Lilly

Hello, Everyone,

First, I am so grateful to everyone who contributes to this forum, but especially to all of you who have contributed and continue to contribute to this massively cool software's growth. You all have allowed so many to be able to create some pretty cool stuff, and allow the creativity to flow. So, thank you for giving something to people; for being nice and helpful.

Secondly, I'm Lilly. A little backwards to the 'forum' scene, but trying my best to comply with the rules. I guess I've been coming here to read for maybe a month. I finally decided to register.

I looked around for a place to post a suggestion to those who have the power to make plug-ins. I hope this is the right place. Anyway, I'm not a graphics guru. I do, however, use this software program for a few reasons, so far, but in time will do more. I used to use a commercial graphics program, for many reasons, and was going to upgrade, but I checked out PDN, not even thinking I would take it seriously, but I was wrong. I In fact, I'm not wanting to get the latest commercial graphics software program just yet. Not after finding this baby.

OK, so, things I used to do with former graphics software but either haven't figured out on Paint.net yet or it just isn't a function....thus far, and that I, at least, think would be handy to have PDN do, if possible are the following:

Have a default option thingie when you select "new" to click a little box or radio button that says "Would you like to make this your default" so that the next new background image I open can be the same size I selected as before. That way I don't have to keep changing the blank new image size every time I go to make a new image.

Maybe this already exists, but newbie me hasn't figured it out yet, and I'm not that techie with the terminology, but it would be handy to be able to have something that allows me to softly darken the inner edges, the same color, of that particular image. Not a vignette, but something that is exactly the same as the colors. For example, if I created a tree, I would like all colors the same near the inner edges, just a soft darkening of those edges. If that is already existing, what is it called within the effects options?

I have read that the PNG saving option is possibly being worked on so that images can be saved as a PNG format, with the transparent surroundings, or maybe I just read that there is a kink in that area. I'm sure eventually it will be worked out.

I WOULD LOVE to be able to write a line of text and then be able to, for example, make my simple line of text go up and down repeatedly, like a hill and valley. I believe that would be called something like "text to path"? That would be cool, although I am still tinkering with the text effect actions. If it already exists, it would be cool if I knew where it was. Again, I'm a little backwards with some of the official graphics terminology. Thank you for your patience in that respect.

I wish I knew how to make those cool plug-ins because I would be more than happy to work on them, as to further assist the growth of this program. It would be my pleasure. So if the things on my wish list are really difficult or somehow legal infringement issues, just ignore me.

All I DO know is that you all are brilliant.

Thank you.

Some of your questions can be answered by looking into several stickied thread in the Plugin section of the forum.

As for setting a default size, best answer I can give you is to create a "blank" file with the exact dimension of your choice, and use it every time you want to work with PDN. What you are asking requires some coding modifications.

As for PNG files, if you have used graphic software in the past, you ought to know that PNG files can save it with a transparent background, something PDN already supports.

Be sure to search thoroughly through the Plugin section as I suggested. Have fun with PDN!

Officially retired from this forum. Have a nice day.

Maybe this already exists, but newbie me hasn't figured it out yet, and I'm not that techie with the terminology, but it would be handy to be able to have something that allows me to softly darken the inner edges, the same color, of that particular image. Not a vignette, but something that is exactly the same as the colors. For example, if I created a tree, I would like all colors the same near the inner edges, just a soft darkening of those edges. If that is already existing, what is it called within the effects options?

Make a new layer, make a black border around it, then blur and adjust transparency to suit.

I have read that the PNG saving option is possibly being worked on so that images can be saved as a PNG format, with the transparent surroundings, or maybe I just read that there is a kink in that area. I'm sure eventually it will be worked out.

There's nothing wrong with Paint.NET's PNG support that I know of...

I WOULD LOVE to be able to write a line of text and then be able to, for example, make my simple line of text go up and down repeatedly, like a hill and valley.

Write your text on a new layer and use distortion effects and plugins. Dents might work. Or you can use the selection and move tools to move the letters individually if you don't want the letters themselves to be distorted.

Welcome to the forum.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

WOW, thank you all for the fast replies and direction! While further investigating the wonderful and vast ocean of threads, I just figured out....this one as an answer to one of my inquiries:

Re: Background help; I'm very confused

Postby welshblue ยป Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:29 am

He duplicated the layer and set the blend mode in layer properties to Multiply

Thanks, people.

Hey, thanks. I never thought of that:

"I WOULD LOVE to be able to write a line of text and then be able to, for example, make my simple line of text go up and down repeatedly, like a hill and valley."

Write your text on a new layer and use distortion effects and plugins. Dents might work. Or you can use the selection and move tools to move the letters individually if you don't want the letters themselves to be distorted.

I'm figuring out many things are there but just performed a little differently in some cases. In other cases, faster than with another application.

By the way, I've been able to create some truly beautiful things with this program even shortly into figuring it out, not even figuring out all of what it can still do. I have also played with Gimp, and it does a lot, but it was a bit daunting to utilize...at least for me. I'm sure it's just a matter of preference.

I can't believe I never used this software before....I know, where have I been....

Some of your questions can be answered by looking into several stickied thread in the Plugin section of the forum.

As for setting a default size, best answer I can give you is to create a "blank" file with the exact dimension of your choice, and use it every time you want to work with PDN. What you are asking requires some coding modifications.

As for PNG files, if you have used graphic software in the past, you ought to know that PNG files can save it with a transparent background, something PDN already supports.

Be sure to search thoroughly through the Plugin section as I suggested. Have fun with PDN!

Thank you, my friend. It was appreciated. Such a simple suggestion that will actually work.