Update Install

Hi,

I've tried to search for this and can't find it anywhere...but is there an option or way to save the update that is downloaded Paint.NET goes into it's update Now or when closed mode? The reason is that we have 4 or 5 machines at work plus virtual machines and they all ahve Paint.NET, it would be nice if the first one could then save the file for the others to manually update...

thanks heaps!

Like I said, it just downloads the new version, uninstalls the old, and installs the new version. Paint.NET is already so compact that having a separate patch system would be near pointless. I don't know that the installer is saved when updating (at least not anywhere it's easy to find), but you can download the installer from the links on the Paint.NET home page.

While the update is in progress, you can find it in %TEMP%.

It'll be called something like Paint.NET.3.5.4.Update.exe, about 3.1mb.

This is NOT exactly what's on the website, btw. It'll run just fine on a system that already has Paint.NET v3.5+ installed on it, however. It omits about 1.5MB worth of prerequisites that are only needed on a system lacking .NET 3.5 SP1 and/or Windows Installer 3.1.

But, really, the best method is to just grab it off the website.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

This is NOT exactly what's on the website, btw. It'll run just fine on a system that already has Paint.NET v3.5+ installed on it, however. It omits about 1.5MB worth of prerequisites that are only needed on a system lacking .NET 3.5 SP1 and/or Windows Installer 3.1.

I stand corrected.

But, really, the best method is to just grab it off the website.

I stand... correctish?

Good idea to check the Temp directory...

That's what I meant when I said it wouldn't be easy to find. If that's the way you want to do it, then by all means. Also, you're welcome to lurk around the forums to stay up to date with Paint.NET. :)

regularly I don't know about the next version until I run Paint.NET and am prompted to Install Now or Install when Exit...

You can force it to check for updates by going to Utilities > Check for Updates. Do note, though, that you won't get the "Install When I Exit" option this way.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!