Removing language files/packs and Error message

After I installed my Dutch language pack, I removed some files and folders from languages I'm never gonna use (I did not remove the original English). After restart I get an error (see ScrShot below), and I'm asked for a repair. How can I still start the program without having to reinstall these language packs ?

For the moment I've reinstalled them all from the Restore option of my Recycle Bin.

BTW, I also would like the languages that I've removed, to disappear from the list of languages in the menu.

In many other programs where I could remove unnecessary language packs, they still remain in the language listings of the menu.

81108870025325.gif

Thanks.

Why do you care?

Do you own a 1 GB hard drive? (the .resources files are just about 100 kb...)

It's not like these "language packs" make pdn slower...

And no, there's no way I know which makes it possible to remove certain languages from pdn.

All installation files are required to be present.

The reason is that, for whatever reason, sometimes people accidentally delete these files (or they get deleted by some other means). There is no way to detect whether a file is missing accidentally or on purpose. So, all installation files are required to be present.

If this were not the case, then many non-English users would inadvertently be unable to have the program in their language.

This system is also in place to protect other files (dll, exe), which sometimes suffer the same fate.

The net effect on you is zero. The disk space consumed is negligible, and the only other effect is the size of the Utilities->Language sub-menu.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

They are not installation files but installed files. I'm not sure but if those files where missing ppl. could still have them installed afterwards. Nobody should throw away their installation file(s). So everybody can do a repair from the installation file.

I like to clean up, even small numbers of files. Vista has enough rubbish on it. I had to look up and install my language. Anyway there are only an extremely small fraction of languages installed by default.

This was an update anyway, so I'm not sure if the program asks which languages to install in the beginning of the original install.

This system is also in place to protect other files (dll, exe), which sometimes suffer the same fate. The net effect on you is zero. The disk space consumed is negligible, and the only other effect is the size of the Utilities->Language sub-menu.
This however is not bad, so in fact the program checks at every start-up if everything is present like it was after the original install. But doesn't that sounds a bit like Microsoft ?

I like to clean up, even small numbers of files. Vista has enough rubbish on it.

But would deleting the language files actually give you any concrete benefit?

This was an update anyway, so I'm not sure if the program asks which languages to install in the beginning of the original install.

It asks you which language to make the default, but not which ones to install.

But doesn't that sounds a bit like Microsoft ?

Paint.NET is a computer program, doesn't that sound a bit like Microsoft?

KaHuc.png