Layers, selection tool, and blending problems

xoxol

In a new project I select all the layer and delete it leaving a trensparent background (though RGB part is still hex: FFFFFF)

From there whether I do anything to the background layer or not, when I create more layer and then draw some stuff and rectangle select one object and drag it over another in the same layer the supposedly transparent pixels for the former object overwrite the corresponding pixels in the latter object.

I have tried multiple selection modes including the one I immediately though would fix this: "Add (union)". But unfortunately it didn't in any way.

Here's an image showing this problem of mine:

33er6sy.png

http://sv.tinypic.com/r/sv49kj/6

Edit:

I have found a workaround by adding a new layer on top in which I add the top object, then select it , drag over the object in the below layer, and finally merge the above layer down into the below one.

But, I'd still like to know why dragging a (rectangle) selected object over another object in the same layer does not blend the surrounding fully transparent pixels in the selection away, and instead they overwrite the below object completely. Why is that ?

Because your selection contains transparent pixels. They are pixels, and that's the way pixels work. This is not a bug, this is the way all image editing programs with layers work. It is supposed to work this way, and the "workaround" you found is actually just the right way to do it. :-P

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Because your selection contains transparent pixels. They are pixels, and that's the way pixels work. This is not a bug, this is the way all image editing programs with layers work. It is supposed to work this way, and the "workaround" you found is actually just the right way to do it. :-P

But unless there is a reason not to (I'm not an an advanced user, I don't know) to this it would be more intuitive to have a selection blend mode for this, for me at least. The method I use now is good enough though.

I think it's just more opportunity for people to get confused.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

I think it's just more opportunity for people to get confused.

I have to disagree, one cannot get confused by intuition. Transparent matter is transparent. When one cuts a piece of glass containing image/text/symbol/logo/whatever and and put that against a another glass, say a window in the front yard, what happens to the background behind the transparent areas (the pure glass uncontaminated with image/text/..) ? is it suddenly replaced by the scene in the backyard ? :shock:

Of course you might say that is where layers come into play, but what I'm trying to say is that a selection in the state of dragging (or copy) is just a (usually) smaller temporary layer, just like a cut out glass.

No, it's not intuitive, because that's how every image editing program ever made works.

No, it's not intuitive, because that's how every image editing program ever made works.

I see, so everyone picking up paint.net has a background in professional editing software *and* cannot get used to a mechanism based on real life intuition!