taoyue

Photoshop PSD file plugin (newest version: 2.5.0)

taoyue    15

Codeplex has finally taken action, and files can now be downloaded successfully on Chrome and Firefox.

Due to the quick reporting from users, the PSD Plugin was one of the first projects on Codeplex to workaround the problem.  I also have reason to believe that the operators of Codeplex took action based directly on my recommendations.  Therefore, every project on Codeplex owes a debt of gratitude to the users of the PSD Plugin.  Thank you!

• Upvote 1

aragond    0

Getting an error as follows:

System.OutOfMemoryException: Insufficient memory to continue the execution of the program.
   at PaintDotNet.Data.PhotoshopFileType.PsdLoad.CheckSufficientMemory(PsdFile psdFile)
   at PhotoshopFile.PsdFile.LoadLayers(PsdBinaryReader reader, Boolean hasHeader)
   at PhotoshopFile.PsdFile.LoadLayerAndMaskInfo(PsdBinaryReader reader)
   at PhotoshopFile.PsdFile.Load(Stream stream, LoadContext loadContext)
   at PaintDotNet.Data.PhotoshopFileType.PsdLoad.Load(Stream input)
   at PaintDotNet.FileType.Load(Stream input) in D:\src\pdn\src\Data\FileType.cs:line 496
   at PaintDotNet.Functional.Func.Eval[T1,TRet](Func`2 f, T1 arg1) in D:\src\pdn\src\Base\Functional\Func.cs:line 158

PSD file is 15.4 MB consisting of several layers of 3,892 x 3528, but I am pretty sure it is all vector layers (not that I'm certain that would make a difference)

So, that would be 164,771,712 bytes required, right guise?

Well, I have 24GB of memory. I don't think I am likely to run out.

So, I assume it's a limitation in the plug-in not Paint.Net

Please help.

Spoiler

Looks like I'll be forced to use that diabolical monster, GIMP. Yeeeech!

toe_head2001    871
5 hours ago, aragond said:

but I am pretty sure it is all vector layers

The memory issue is the least of your problems. The plugin and paint.net only supports raster images, not vector images.

aragond    0
5 hours ago, toe_head2001 said:

The memory issue is the least of your problems. The plugin and paint.net only supports raster images, not vector images.

Yip, that'll do it. I wish that had been made a little clearer in the ... what? Even Paint.Net doesn't do vector images?!

Spoiler

UGH! Alright, so vomitolicious gimp it is

Thanks for your help, mate

taoyue    15
On 2/7/2017 at 5:26 PM, aragond said:

PSD file is 15.4 MB consisting of several layers of 3,892 x 3528, but I am pretty sure it is all vector layers (not that I'm certain that would make a difference)

So, that would be 164,771,712 bytes required, right guise?

Well, I have 24GB of memory. I don't think I am likely to run out.

It would be 164,771,712 bytes if the file has one layer.

PSD files can contain thousands of layers, so that file could require hundreds of GB of memory to load into Paint.NET.

The problem is that Photoshop has partial layers and Paint.NET doesn't.  Because layers are cheap in Photoshop, graphic designers can use layers like candy.  They'll create a new layer for a 10x10 image element.  When the file is loaded into Paint.NET, that 10x10 layer turns into a full 3892 x 3528 layer.

• Upvote 1

Charm    0

hello

I am having an issue. I have paint 4.0.14 on one comp with the Paint.NET PSD Plugin installed,,,it works great

tonight I open paint on my other comp, it wanted to update to 4.0.16, so I did, then...I downloaded Paint.NET PSD Plugin  

now when I use it, it says not reconized, another friend is doing the same thing, and getting same alert, it wont open a psd file

I hop back on other comp, in older version, works just fine

any ideas what we are doing wrong?

toe_head2001    871
18 minutes ago, Charm said:

it says not reconized

What's not recognized? paint.net doesn't recognized the plugin? The plugin doesn't recognize Photoshop files?

Pixey    2,102

Hi there @Charm Alas, your screen shot is not showing up.  You need to copy the IMG or the URL code and paste.

Are you quite sure that when you downloaded the Plugin that you :

"copy PhotoShop.dll to: C:\Program Files\paint.net\FileTypes"    and not to Effects!

I tried to install this plugin to the place stated and when I unzipped the file it said 'access is denied' does anyone know if this might be something on the end of the plugin or something I'm doing? Thanks.

Pixey    2,102
8 hours ago, atomicempress86 said:

I tried to install this plugin to the place stated and when I unzipped the file it said 'access is denied' does anyone know if this might be something on the end of the plugin or something I'm doing? Thanks.

Hello and Welcome to PDN :D.

I have just tested this download and it is working fine for me.  You don't have Norton by any chance?  It is notorious for denying access.

toe_head2001    871
14 hours ago, atomicempress86 said:

I tried to install this plugin to the place stated and when I unzipped the file it said 'access is denied'

Is it just the UAC prompt for permission escalation? Do you have admin permissions on your local Windows account?

Download?ProjectName=psdplugin&DownloadI

I just wanted to pass by and say: Thank you Taojue!

Your plugin is great and has always been a boon to my work when cross-editing animations with Gimp, Paint.NET and Genetica 4.

Like seriously, thanks a lot and please keep up the great work!