How can I measure (and re-apply) these image differences?

Arctic Giraffe

I have a lower resolution version of an image that has also had it's colours subtly changed as well as loosing some sharpness. I'd like to try and restore this lower resolution image to as close to the original as I can get it, but I'm new to the whole world of image manipulation and don't really know where to start!

What would be fantastic, is a step by step guide on how I would go about working out the differences between these two images, followed by how to go about applying them to the lower resolution image in order to make it look as close to the original as possible. But I'll take what ever advice I can get :)

Here are my two images - I've pasted part of the lower resolution image over a part of the original that I still have. By eye, I think the original only has six colours in it? Will I be able to improve on the sharpness of it too?

sharpen.png

I know Pyrochild has a color match plugin which should let you match the colors in the smaller image to the larger. It should be with his plugin pack in the plugins directory. If not, search. After that, you could just sharpen it, I think.

You image looks like it was exported from ArcGIS or maybe AutoCAD? If so, you could improve the resolution through the export function in ArcGIS by increasing the quality of the exported file. I do this all the time and have found that I can get an excellent output by adjusting the default settings in ArcGIS. Let me know if this helps or if I can advise you further.

SAC, WOTW and Photo Manip Competition Host

To visit the Comps click HERE

I know Pyrochild has a color match plugin which should let you match the colors in the smaller image to the larger.

Color Match is designed for photographs, not logo-style graphics with large patches of single colors. You can give it a try, but I doubt it'll be very pretty. Even with photos, it sometimes gives awesomely craptastic results.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

Thanks for the replies.

I don't have ArcGIS or AutoCAD - all I got is Paint.net! :)

Is there any way of comparing the two colours (for example those two greens) that will tell me exactly what I need to adjust the brightness or saturation by to get back to the original green? Or is it more complicated than that? Obviously black needs to stay black, and white, white ...

You might find Selective Palette, found in Curtis' plugin set, to be somewhat helpful.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

Thanks for the replies.

I don't have ArcGIS or AutoCAD - all I got is Paint.net! :)

Is there any way of comparing the two colours (for example those two greens) that will tell me exactly what I need to adjust the brightness or saturation by to get back to the original green? Or is it more complicated than that? Obviously black needs to stay black, and white, white ...

Oh, my mistake. I appears to be a map showing building footprints, a roadway, and a watershed boundary. Where did you get the image? It does look to be exported out of a GIS program of some kind. If you know where it was obtained you might be able to find an online GIS mapping site for this area and reproduce the image. Otherwise, I don't think you will be able to enhance the sharpness of the detail. The colors you should be able to manipulate with PdN.

SAC, WOTW and Photo Manip Competition Host

To visit the Comps click HERE

Arctic Giraffe,

You can tighten up the sharpness a bit by by adjusting

the contrast and brightness.

Adjustments > Brightness / Contrast

===========================================

Use the Color Picker tool (Eyedropper) to identify the colors.

With the Color Picker a right-click on the degraded color and a left-click

on the good color will set your secondary and primary colors respectively.

Once set, you can use the Recolor tool to fix the degraded color.

To decrease the blurring obvious in the lower rez image I'd suggest either Sharpen, or Sharpen+, though this technique might also be worth investigating: Sharpen the Emboss way