Sign in to follow this  
BoltBait

Sci-Fi suggestions needed

No, I think it's interesting all the way through, but it'll make more and more sense and get better and better as the seasons progress.

Ok, finished Babylon 5.

Season 3-4 was decent. The acting got better. The special effects got better.

Season 5 was a big let down. I was expecting

a mundane vs. psi war

and got

nothing

Next up... Farscape.

Just finished season 1 of Farscape. I love it.

I like the interactions between cast members. I like the variety of aliens they encounter.

The humor is funny. The special effects are good. There are larger arcs that fit well with the single episodes.

I was afraid that I wouldn't like the whole "muppets in space" thing. But, it is done really well. Funny, I thought there was only one puppet... until I realized that the pilot was also a puppet. :)

I still have 3 seasons and a movie left. So far, so good.

Good man! Farscape is an excellent choice. As the seasons continue, I believe it gets stronger as a series. It was unfortunate that they cut it short to only four seasons; the 'miniseries'/film was created to tie up the loose ends but I feel in parts the acting falls victim to the time between it and the concluding season, and the fact that they had a fair amount to wrap up in a mere four hours.

A brilliant series nonetheless.

I'm currently working my way through The X-Files (on season four); therefore I hold-heartedly recommend that once you've finished your lengthy to-watch list. Not only are the stories compelling, they are in equal measure frightening. The character interactions between Mulder and Scully are, in my opinion, top-notch. What's more: Gillian Anderson.

I have heard Duchovny becomes only a recurring actor post-season seven, so we'll see how that pans out.

The revived series of Doctor Who peaks and troughs (the latter far more so in recent seasons), and if you don't have the inclination to entertain the notion of watching it, don't.

I love Doctor Who, but I have quickly come to see it for its many (many) faults and watch it only as a filler for forty-five minutes. (Matt Smith/Steven Moffat's tenure is seeing fit to change that.) I cannot comment on the 'Classic' series.

Any of my other proposed suggestions have been, well, suggested.

Ok, finished Babylon 5.

Season 3-4 was decent. The acting got better. The special effects got better.

Season 5 was a big let down. I was expecting

a mundane vs. psi war

and got

nothing

Next up... Farscape.

Lol, you're right there. Seasons 3 and 4 were the best. I've liked what Farscape I've seen, which is the first season, random episodes from other seasons and the final movie, randomly. I've watched some of Fringe lately, and it reminds me a lot of the X Files, with some Twilight Zone thrown in.

Hulu currently has all 61 episodes of Lexx available for viewing.

I've seen a few. Aside from Eva Habermann, there wasn't anything spectacular.

I've seen a few. Aside from Eva Habermann, there wasn't anything spectacular.

It grows on you. I found the same thing with Firefly; you watch the first one or two and think "bleh". Stick with it though.

I just bought Lexx series 3 which I haven't seen at all. <happy>

Oh and Xenia also grows on you. She's part cluster lizard you know....,

So I traded some spare computer parts for ... all of Stargate SG-1.

Seasons 1 through 3 are ok. Way too much of, "ok let's go to a primitive planet, eat soup with the natives, and go home."

Season 4 seems to be where it picks up and becomes more interesting.

I found the same thing with Firefly; you watch the first one or two and think "bleh".

Speak for yourself. For me, the only "bleh" in Firefly was Nathan Fillion's butt.

Speak for yourself. For me, the only "bleh" in Firefly was Nathan Fillion's butt.

You really went with the whole Sci-Fi "western gunslinger" thing from the outset? Wow. I had to chew that one over for some time...,

Would you be interested in cyberpunk? I guess you can call it a sub-genre of Sci-Fi. To quote: "Cyberpunk is about expressing (often dark) ideas about human nature, technology and their respective combination in the near future." And I found a site that lists movies, books, shows, etc., relating to cyberpunk. Here's the site: Cyberpunk Review.com

My suggestion about Enterprise: DO NOT WATCH the very last episode. The episode before it is a perfect way to end the series, and not that POS TNG flashback episode they call the real series finale.

So, a couple of days ago, Amazon had a "deal of the day" of the complete collection of Red Dwarf, half off. I ordered it.

The special effects are embarrassing.

But, the show is totally funny. I like.

Are you new to Red Dwarf?

There is a quite recent followup series of (four?) episodes that were made. To me they had the same old magic, but lots of fans diss'd them. Were these episodes were included in the collection?