Sign in to follow this  
BoltBait

Sci-Fi suggestions needed

I only ordered Lexx season one. However, I did find Seasons one and two online at Hulu.

...and none of the DVD's I ordered have come yet.

OOH! OH! i know! it's the best show ever, you're going to LOVE it!!!!!!!

(No Dr. Who!)

...never mind...

seriously speaking though, I've heard Heroes is pretty good. FlashFoward's not that bad, you can probably watch the first season on hulu. Need I mention Lost?

and Babylon 5, but that's already been said.

(I heard V was good?)

Thanks for all the suggestions. Here's what I ordered:

Farscape (all seasons and movie)

Lexx (season 1)

Cowboy Bebop (remix complete collection)

Babylon 5 (all seasons, the gathering movie)

Hope they're good!

Here's what arrived today:

Farscape (all seasons and movie)

Lexx (season 1)

Cowboy Bebop (remix complete collection)

Babylon 5 Gathering movie (but not the series DVD's yet)

I'll let you know what I think when I start watching them.

OK, so I started watching Coyboy Bebop and... (drum roll)... I heart.gif it.

It reminds me of a cartoon version of Firefly.

I've watched a few episodes of Lexx and it is growing on me.

Next up, I don't know, probably Farscape.

I had hoped you would like it. Some people can be turned off when I suggest a 'cartoon' or an 'anime' to them, failing to realize it is actually a mature, well developed show. Glad you like it!

Some people can be turned off when I suggest a 'cartoon' or an 'anime' to them, failing to realize it is actually a mature, well developed show.

You can thank anime-obsessed 13-year-old girls for that.

I'd recommend watching Akira.

It's one of the best animes ever created (animation quality and all) and features a very mature story in the future.

Well of the top of my head:

Series:

Battlestar Galactica is a must if you consider yourself a SciFi lover. & Caprica the prequel series just started to air

All Star Trek are worth watching

Andromeda 's ok

The Outer Limits are great, both the old series from the 60's as well as the new ones (90's)

The X-files (especially the first 5 seasons)

Lost (if you can bear through season 2)

Heroes (first 2 seasons)

Stargate SG1's ok till season 5

Eureka (first season)

Film:

Cube, ExistenZ, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind, Videodrome, Dune (lynch), Pandorum, 2001: A Space oddysey, Zebraman, Tetsuo (not for the faint of heart), Aeonflux, Alien, Predator, Batman (Burton & Nolan), Blade Runner, Tron, Death Race 2000, District 9, Equilibrium, Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy, Minority Report, Metropolis (Lang), Terminator (1&2), Gamer, the Abyss, Star Wars (4,5,6), the Fly,the Matrix (1), ...

Manga/Anime:

Akira, Ghost in the Shell (first movie & series), Roujin Z, Serial experiments LAIN(wierd, but def worth to watch), Galaxy 999, Appleseed, Tripping the rift

Stargate SG1's ok till season 5

I can only assume you meant to say:

Stargate SG1's ok till season 5, then it just gets continually more awesome! And it results in a great spinoff!

... Film: ... Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy ...

Your post lost all credibility right there.

... Film: ... Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy ...

Your post lost all credibility right there.

LOL, true not the best one in the list, but ok if you're in a no-brainer-mood and still wanna go sci-fi, which would make watching a lot of the other films in the list kinda difficult.

There's some really great stuff in what i mentioned, but decide for yourself.

@CommanderSozo

lol, nice try! No it's exactly what i meant, after season 5 there are still good episodes, just too few of them.

I feel like SG1 was more solidly excellent for a longer time than any other show I've seen. There are better shows, yes, but they're not as consistent. And there are more consistent shows, but they weren't as good. SG1 was awesome-in-a-can overall, and Atlantis was almost as good. I don't care what you say, BB, SGU is off to a great start. And Doctor Who rocks.

This is very high praise indeed. I think I'll check it out. Did you get dubs or subs?

This is very high praise indeed. I think I'll check it out. Did you get dubs or subs?

I got this:

http://www.amazon.com/Cowboy-Bebop-Comp ... 571&sr=8-1

...which as far as I can tell, is the best release you can get. And, it is also the cheapest. It includes both.

BTW, Cowboy Bebop is one of the few anime where it is generally agreed that the English dub is better than the original Japanese w/English subtitles.

Star Trek Enterprise

Seasons 1 and 2 are your typical episodic stuff from TOS and TNG, it's ok. Then you reach Season 3 and it has one long, really good story arc. Season 4 is comprised of 2-3 episode story arcs that rival some of the better Star Trek movies. Emotional character development on Star Trek, say it ain't so ... Plus, who can say no to T'Pol

Well, I had never seen much of Enterprise. The last bits of Voyager weren't too great, and Enterprise never got me really hooked so I stopped about halfway through the first season. I just recently picked up all of the episodes and I really enjoyed the first two seasons. I am a few episodes into the the third season and I just can't seem to like it. I'm sorry, but the acting and change in characters is just awful. Hopefully it'll pick up soon.

BoltBait: Any new comments on what you picked up?

BoltBait: Any new comments on what you picked up?

B5: I'm most of the way through the first season and, well... the special effects aren't very special and I've seen better acting on soap operas. I hope it gets better.

I lent Farscape to my dad while I finish B5. I'll get it back in a couple of weeks.

BTW, my dad didn't really like Cowboy Bebop. He doesn't really like "cartoons" as he put it.

Yes, the first season is more of a Prelude than anything. Just wait till you see the Lost Tales movie, which takes place after all 5 seasons and has amazing special effects. I'm pretty sure they made it just to say: "Hey! This is what B5 could have looked like!"

BoltBait, I agree with Pyrochild over the last comment. If you are willing to be patient, wait till the 3rd season, that's when things start to get really interesting.

So, I have to invest ~40 hours watching a show before it gets interesting? :?

Well... I own it now, so I might as well watch. :|