How do you extract a patterned background?

I need to extract or remove the background from a photograph. I am use to using the extract tool in photoshop that allows you to trace the outline of an image and then extract/remove whatever is outside the outline, leaving behind the image with no background.

I have installed all the stickied plugins but I haven't found a tool that does this, besides the magic wand which doesn't do a very good job. It's fine for a flat colored background, but not a patterned background.

The picture has a fluffly dog and I need to keep as much detail in it's fur as possible, ie you should be able to see the little fly away furs that stick out without it looking like it was literally cut out and pasted onto a background.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

You could try this, viewtopic.php?f=34&t=28790 or the tut in the PDF here, viewtopic.php?f=34&t=29324 You should have this one anyway. Very important information in the PDF that you should know. Hope this sets you in the right direction. Don't get discouraged, make a copy of your original image and work on the copy, not the original, try it several times and you will see that you will get better with each try. Good luck :D

SAC, WOTW and Photo Manip Competition Host

To visit the Comps click HERE

What a cutie ! I can see your problem, a lot of curly hair ! Just start out with the cut out technique with a larger area than you want and then through the use the eraser tool and the magic wand and alias and feather you will get there. Good luck !

SAC, WOTW and Photo Manip Competition Host

To visit the Comps click HERE