Realistic flower

robbertzzz

I've decided to make this tutorial (yes, my first one indeed), because I found a nice way for creating a flower. I searched the forum for a tutorial about making a flower, because I remembered to have seen one, and I came up with Ash's tutorial. It was a nice one, but the outcome wasn't what I was hoping for. So I started messing with Paint.NET, and accidentally made some great flower.

So here's the outcome of this tutorial:

flower.jpg

Now, let's start making your own flower!

Plugins needed:

Align object

First, create a blank canvas that is square (I used 600*600), and add a new layer.

On this layer, create an ellipse in some nice color (using "draw filled shape"), something like mine. This is going to be that leafy thing flowers have, called petals (I never knew this word, but then again, English is not my first language).

Be sure the petal is less than half the width of your canvas. Than align it to the middle right, using align object.

1.jpg

Duplicate the layer, and make the color you chose for your petal your secondary color, and use white as your primary colour. Use Recolor :RecoloringTool: to make the petal white. Next, select this :LinearReflectedGradient: gradient, on transparency mode ( :AlphaChannel: ), and drag down from the center of your petal:

2.jpg

Now duplicate the layer with the petal on it, move this layer up, and use Recolor :RecoloringTool: to make it black. Now use the same gradient tool as before, but now use your right mouse button when dragging down from the center:

3.jpg

Play a bit with the Opacity of the upper two layers (using layer properties, most right symbol of the layers window), and merge the two down to the layer of your petal. You should have two layers now:

4.jpg

Duplicate the top layer, and then use "Layers->Flip Horizontal" to create a second petal (I'm starting to like the word now :)). Merge this layer down.

5.jpg

Duplicate this layer, and rotate it 90 degrees, using "Layers->Rotate/Zoom". Merge this layer down. Repeat this, but now rotate the layer 45 degrees before merging down. You should end up with something like this:

6.jpg

Duplicate the layer once again, rotate it 22.5 degrees, and zoom by 0.90. Move this layer down, and change the brightness ("Adjustments->Brightness/Contrast") a bit to make this layer look a bit darker:

7.jpg

Merge these two layers into one, and duplicate. Now use Recolor or "Adjustments->Curves" To give this layer a color that blends nice with the color of your flower:

8.jpg

Now use a radial gradient from the center, again using Transparancy mode, to get your flower back. As you can see, it makes the petals look more natural, having two colors:

9.jpg

I merged this layer down, but it's not necessary when completing your flower. Add a new layer, and make a brown circle using the ellipse tool and the shift key, that is a bit larger than the hole that roams in the center of the flower. The default brown color that is already on your color palette should do just fine.

Center this circle using "align object":

10.jpg

Now use "Effects->Distort->Frosted glass" to make it look a bit more like the center of a flower should look:

11.jpg

Create a new layer, and pick a darker brown color. Draw a circle that is a bit smaller than the first one, and center it. Apply frosted glass again, using the same settings:

12.jpg

Yes, you're almost there :). Just a few final steps:

On a new layer, create a black circle (with shift pressed), using "Draw Shape Outline" ( :ShapeOutline: ). It should be smaller than your brown spot in the center, as this ring is going to be used for the shading of your flower. I used a brush width of twelve. Center this circle, using align object:

13.jpg

Use "Effects->Blur->Gaussian blur" to create this shading:

14.jpg

Now there is just one little step left, to give the flower a bit more depth, and a bit more realism. Duplicate the lowest layer of your brown circle, and colorize the lower one, making it black. Use a gaussian blur on this layer, and try to make the brown spot look as if it were part of the flower (which it is, of course).

And now you're done!

My result:

result.jpg

Post your result, and a lot of criticism if you like. But please, don't be harsh, it's my first tut on this forum ;).

I'm not seeing any images. Are you sure the links to easy-upload.nl are correct?

I'm not seeing any images. Are you sure the links to easy-upload.nl are correct?

This server is down every now and then, but it's getting better all the time. So if you'd watch again, you should be able to see the images.

I'll upload them somewhere else, but I thought easy-upload.nl was stable at the moment. I haven't seen it down for quite a while...

[edit]

I put them on my own server now.

working fine on my computor. I see all the images. Makes a nice flower. good tut.

ciao

This server is down every now and then, but it's getting better all the time. So if you'd watch again, you should be able to see the images.

I'll upload them somewhere else, but I thought easy-upload.nl was stable at the moment. I haven't seen it down for quite a while...

[edit]

I've put them on my own server now.

working fine on my computor. I see all the images. Makes a nice flower. good tut.

ciao

• 3 weeks later...