layer feature request

jerry533482

Hey, this may sound weird, but I've recently been following some tutorials and they frequently ask to run Gaussian blur on individual layers. Is it possible to implement a control on the layer properties box that allows you to blur the selected layer without affecting the others? Perhaps this could be implemented in a future release?

Space...The Final Frontier. -James Tiberius Kirk; circa 2260s

YLOD VICTIM

Yes, but what if the blur could be adjusted on-the-fly without stepping back in history; like the opacity bar? That would help if you messed up a blur a couple steps back.

YLOD VICTIM

What you're asking for is non-destructive editing, similar to Photoshop's "smart filters". This is not currently possible in Paint.NET; it would be performance-prohibitive to implement. It would be extremely slow without GPU assistance or something.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Yes, but what if the blur could be adjusted on-the-fly without stepping back in history; like the opacity bar? That would help if you messed up a blur a couple steps back.

since I use blur all the time, let me clue you in on a secret. It gets easier with practice. and you make less errors several layers back if you make a duplicate layer uncheck one of the layers and then blur. you can always just go back and swap out the bad blur layer.

longer process but gives better results. also I've been known to use a transparent gradiant on one of the blurs if its way to pronounced.

there are work arounds. but as always the best pictures and best control comes with practise practise practise.

:wink:

Assuming that non-destructive editing was a feature, what would the system requirements be?

The feature is lame unless it rerenderd in real time. Photoshop has strong restrictions on the feature and is definitely not real-time.

For the functionality that I'd want, it would require GPU acceleration. Otherwise you'd be looking at needing a 16-core 3.0Ghz monster. Otherwise things like Gaussian Blur, distortion, etc would just be too slow (in general).

Adjustments, on the other hand, are much cheaper and could be done in the current footprint.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

• 1 month later...

In terms of future planning, what if a + version of Paint.NET (that was still free) was made that took advantage of high-end GPUs to increase performance? Not necessarily implementing the layer feature request I mentioned above, but in general, wouldn't a GPU-assisted version be much faster?

Gamers with the latest machines would probably find this interesting.

YLOD VICTIM

What if some other forum members were willing to help with such a project?

And doesn't Rick already have some help with writing Paint.NET? This isn't a one-man-deal; Paint.NET has become a very complex program and development will take forever if Rick does it himself (not to mention the stress involved). I'll admit, Rick is the brilliant mastermind behind Paint.NET, but everybody needs help sometimes.

YLOD VICTIM

I doubt Rick is going to be enthusiastic about developing a parallel project as you suggest. Nor do I think he would smile on the idea of a collaborative approach.

Paint.Net is what it is due to Rick. Let's learn to love it as-is.

All I'm saying is, when you have a forum for your program with a couple thousand members, development can put you under a lot of pressure; and bog you down (not to mention when you're working with over 100,000 finely crafted lines of code). Especially if it's a project done in your spare time. All I'm saying is a collaborative approach might be more efficient.

But still Rick, Thanks for Paint.NET. :)

YLOD VICTIM