"Manage fonts" - what is this for?

When I saw this menu position the first time I thought it was a built-in Font Manager for Paint.Net. But what does it do? It opens the Windows Explorer in the C:\Windows\Fonts folder.

In the next version please add a link to the System32 folder, Drivers folder, System Volume Information folder...

35142_4aae8e63a273a7d16846dbdaba4a4dae

Apple rules. Microsoft rules. Paint.Net rules. God Bless America.

Was this a necessary question? I think it does exactly as the name suggest, managing fonts, and it used to be, whenever we downloaded a new font, we had to shut down the program, and rerun the program so it could recognize the newly installed font. Now, it is not needed as the program will recognize the new font.

Officially retired from this forum. Have a nice day.

In the next version please add a link to the System32 folder, Drivers folder, System Volume Information folder...

As much as I enjoy a good bit of sarcasm, being a graphics application, Paint.NET has a menu item that launches the Fonts manager because it has a direct relation to the Fonts manager. Since Paint.NET now automatically detects newly installed fonts, it's just as seamless as a built-in font manager would be, without the hassle of Rick having to write one himself and with the advantage of universal application - a font "installed for Paint.NET" is installed everywhere.

One of our most common questions here on the forum is "How do I install new fonts into my Paint.NET". Since Paint.NET caters to a more casual crowd, it's much simpler to have a menu item that launches Explorer to a predefined path than to ask a user who already doesn't how to install a font to navigate to the Fonts folder themselves.

I'm very sorry if that extra menu item is causing you emotional distress. As long as your Paint.NET is set to automatically check for updates, hopefully you can simply avoid opening that specific menu and minimize your pain...

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

Does Paint.Net automatically detect newly added plugins to the Effects or FileTypes folders?

A plugin manager with a plugin store would be more useful. Something like a simpler version of one in Firefox. This would be cool. Even Photoshop doesn't have this.

Every time I download a plugin and test them (half of them is junk, the other half is useful) I have to open Windows Explorer, go to C:\Program Files..., extract the downloaded file, copy it there. And this is boring.

Apple rules. Microsoft rules. Paint.Net rules. God Bless America.

Does Paint.Net automatically detect newly added plugins to the Effects or FileTypes folders?

A plugin manager with a plugin store would be more useful. Something like a simpler version of one in Firefox. This would be cool. Even Photoshop doesn't have this.

Every time I download a plugin and test them (half of them is junk, the other half is useful) I have to open Windows Explorer, go to C:\Program Files..., extract the downloaded file, copy it there. And this is boring.

In a word, nope. That's something I once asked about near a year ago, and I was told that Rick may be looking into that. I know the GIMP uses Script-Fu to refresh its plugin list, but even PS has to be closed in order for the new effect or whatnots to be found. I'm sorry that PDN is causing you such hassles. :?

Officially retired from this forum. Have a nice day.

As much as I enjoy a good bit of sarcasm, being a graphics application, Paint.NET has a menu item that launches the Fonts manager because it has a direct relation to the Fonts manager. Since Paint.NET now automatically detects newly installed fonts, it's just as seamless as a built-in font manager would be, without the hassle of Rick having to write one himself and with the advantage of universal application - a font "installed for Paint.NET" is installed everywhere.

One of our most common questions here on the forum is "How do I install new fonts into my Paint.NET". Since Paint.NET caters to a more casual crowd, it's much simpler to have a menu item that launches Explorer to a predefined path than to ask a user who already doesn't how to install a font to navigate to the Fonts folder themselves.

I'm very sorry if that extra menu item is causing you emotional distress. As long as your Paint.NET is set to automatically check for updates, hopefully you can simply avoid opening that specific menu and minimize your pain...

quoted for the win lololol

a new contender for weompa award?

"Clearly it's a very serious and literal meaning. If you're not solving physics equations then get off my lawn!-Rick Brewster Paint.net Lead Developer"

Is your username an attempt at irony? Bravo man. Very successful.

No.

Duh.

Lots of things are boring. Too bad. Life goes on. Adults accept and deal with it.

Like was just said, that menu item solves a very specific purpose and was trivial to implement -- a very good "bang for the buck" ratio. Nobody's disagreeing on the necessity of general plugin management etc, but other things had already been lined up and had to be seen to completion first.

Remember, I'm the one guy working on this thing. There is only so much of my time and energy to go around, and I've already got a 50 year backlog worth of features. It is not being engineered solely aligned to your desires (if you need that kind of entertainment then you should go to Las Vegas, although be sure to learn the rules of Blackjack first). You are coming across as an arrogant, self-entitled, little brat of a child.

Next topic of conversation ... what on Earth is the File->Exit menu command for? You can just click the X at the top-right corner! Gosh darn!

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

• 1 month later...

Fonts are a system-wide thing, so it only makes sense to use the system-wide method of managing them. There's no reason for Rick to waste his time re-writing a less useful version of what the Windows team has already done.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

This question has been answered. The topic is done. Paint.NET is not a font manager, nor will one be written. Windows already comes with a "real" font manager. It's better in Windows 7, complete with the "hide" functionality you're asking for, so if you're still on XP then that's another reason to upgrade.

Thread Closed

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg