Trouble Installing Latest Version

hyaxlord

I started getting a random error on the old version I was using (3.31 I think) and before it occurred to me to check the forums here, I deleted the programs and did a clean-up. I then came here to download the newest version, but when I try to install I get the following error:

System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'PaintDotNet.SystemLayer.FileSystem' threw an exception. ---> System.IO.IOException: The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)

at System.IO.Directory.InternalGetFileDirectoryNames(String path, String userPathOriginal, String searchPattern, Boolean includeFiles, Boolean includeDirs, SearchOption searchOption)

at System.IO.Directory.GetFiles(String path, String searchPattern, SearchOption searchOption)

at System.IO.Directory.GetFiles(String path, String searchPattern)

at PaintDotNet.SystemLayer.FileSystem..cctor() in D:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\SystemLayer\FileSystem.cs:line 506

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

I'm using XP with the latest updates and SP3.5 fully updated (and freshly repaired), and there are (as far as I can see, though I've only skimmed the registry) no traces of PDN left on the system. Any ideas what's causing this? Any other info I should add?

run chkdsk

Thanks for the speedy response. chkdsk ran through, did its thing. It said it had sorted some indexes in files, deleted a couple of things, and then closed itself before I could get the details.

Just in case, I tried to run the installer again when it had finished but got the same error.

Run it from the command line, otherwise it'll close the window when it's finished (as will any command-line program). The /F parameter is important, below.

XP: Start, Run, type "cmd" and press enter

Win7 or Vista: Click on Start/Windows button, type "cmd" and press Ctrl+Shift+Enter (this forces "run as administrator")

Then, at the C:\Windows\System32 (or whatever) prompt, type: chkdsk /f (and then press enter of course)

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Run it from the command line, otherwise it'll close the window when it's finished (as will any command-line program). The /F parameter is important, below.

XP: Start, Run, type "cmd" and press enter

Win7 or Vista: Click on Start/Windows button, type "cmd" and press Ctrl+Shift+Enter (this forces "run as administrator")

Then, at the C:\Windows\System32 (or whatever) prompt, type: chkdsk /f (and then press enter of course)

Did you edit this post when I wasn't looking?

I ran chkdsk through cmd, but this was before catching the 'run as admin' bit, and it said the drive was locked as it was ntfs, and something about doing the scan on a restart. So I did that. It ran through and recovered a bunch of orphaned files this time, restarted again, I tried to run the installer, and...

It's working perfectly now. Thanks a lot for your help guys. Really quick and to the point!