Sign in to follow this  
Picc84

Post Your Desktop Thread

What I use for media player is Windows Media Player, Windows Media Center (integrates recorded TV nicely), and CD Art Display, which is a skinnable resource for displaying the media player music of your choice. I just like sticking with Microsoft software so I don't need all that unnecessary stuff like iTunes, Foobar, etc.

Except it's just about the opposite for internet browsers, since I hate Internet Explorer. I use Google Chrome and sometimes Firefox. boltbait.lol.png

Wow thats a thats awsome.. can i have a download link for both :D?..

Sure thing. Just lemme know what resolution you need. ;)

Well, GLX-Dock was alright, but was an extra RAM debt that wasn't worth it to me in the long run. That, and it liked to forget icons of running programs for some reason - you could still click the empty space to get at the program, but you'd have no idea what program you'd be getting.

So I ditched GLX-Dock in favor of the default toolbar actions and built-in GNOME theming capabilities. My new desktop background is a Ubuntu logo based on their new look for 10.04, zoom-blurred for a light-casting effect, and set on a simple textured background. It has nice large labels on the bottom:

CMDesktop4-18_th.jpg

And mousing near them brings up the toolbar, with the launchers categorized in their respective areas:

CMDesktop4-18_aux_th.jpg

Uses up less RAM and functions just about the same. I'm pretty happy with it. :)

And mousing near them brings up the toolbar, with the launchers categorized in their respective areas:

Nicely crafted desktop, Dan! Out of curiosity, are the large labels at the bottom part of the desktop background? And, have you achieved the matching arrows on the expanded toolbar by assigning a toolbar background? However you did it, it is a clever piece of work. ;)

---

Edit: Since this is the 'Post Your Desktop Thread', I suppose I might post one of mine. My Ubuntu desktop--fairly simple:

th_desktop_4-18-10.png

Edited by Helio

Yep, the labels are a part of the background. I would make a useless toolbar with the labels on as a transparent PNG background, but I haven't found a way to make a toolbar that doesn't auto-hide yet is able to go behind windows - granted I haven't looked either. The background of the toolbar itself then is also has the texture as a fill so as to cover over the labels on the background.

So, it'd be a less than elegant process to port this effect over to any other wallpapers, but for the time being, it's nice and stylish. ;)

My awesome desktop with Fences and a nice icon set:

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/731/showdesktop1.jpg

Also, does anyone know how to make the icon stay the same when I open the program, because this is what happens:

problemicons.png

I'm not completely sure how you'd get it to stay, but in the meantime. Here's my desktop. boltbait.lol.png

xn6vmf.jpg

Crowded. Cluttered. Messy.

Too much going on for me.

Also, I can't stand rainmeter. Somehow it messed up my desktop when I had it on my former XP desktop and that wasn't cool.

th_desktop17june.jpg

i dont like having lots on my desktop :P but theres another dock hidden to the left with all the programs i use :P

i was listening to: the blank (16 bit remix) by skism :)

Well I think it`s a bit too cluttered personally. I prefer a nice clean look with as few shortcuts on the screen as possible.With Win7`s new taskbar it makes it easy to achieve now as well. Here is my latest( guess what lappie I`ve got! :D ) -

th_XPSscreen.jpg