Splatter effect (from my current signature)

Gigabyte

Hi guys! This is my first tutorial, so i hope it will do well! If this is wrong section please move it!

Tutorial:

This is what we will be making:

34a67699.jpg

(that effect)

1. Open new project (Ctrl+N - File>New) :FileNew:

Paint your background black :PaintBucketTool: . Add a layer :AddNewLayer: and call it "Splatter". Now add some splatter brushes with CustomBrushes Mini by Simon Brown in white color.

I think these are brushes i used.

916d4cb4.jpg

2 text :TextTool:

Make a new layer which shall be called "Text Layer". Now wrote some text, somewhere 'round middle of that splatter. Then add some outline with Outline Object by pyrochild. Outline Object is not necessary!! Text shall be in some pinky color. You can bold it or something, if you want.

On Text Layer, make Gaussian Blur, around 10.

4997a32f.jpg

Now make another layer. :AddNewLayer: Call it Text2 Layer or something. On that layer, write same text with same font but in white color. Run Gaussian Blur on 5.

287ecc70.jpg

Colors

Make another layer :AddNewLayer: , call it Colors. Take Paintbrush Tool :PaintBrushTool: . Brush width on 'round 125.

Okay, now take red color and make a cricle which will cover part of splatter.

96e3a972.jpg

Repeat same step with some other colors (blue, orange, green...).

You must cover whole splatter.

dc544c66.jpg

On Colors layer run Gaussian Blur on...hmm...'round you get something like on next image. I've used 52.

1ccd8bd7.jpg

(NOTE: I haven't use same colors on image 005 and image 006)

Finishing

Go on your 4th layer (Colors) and set its blending mode on Overlay. Now go to image>flatten.

You now have something like this:

03e59546.jpg

Some notices and advices:

Hidden Content:
You can darken your Splatter layer if text isn't visible. You also can glow it or add some extra effects, borders, renders, c4d's.. but its your choice! Show me your works please!

How to use brushes:

Hidden Content:
You need ABR Viewer program. Google it, then download it. With it, extract brushes and do the thing with Custom Brushes MINI. If you want detailed instructions please visit this.

Hope you like it!

Gigabyte

34a67699.jpg

Post above may contain sarcasm or humor.. or bad english!

My Splatter sig tutorial!

WOWZERS! best outcome from a tut i've ever seen Excellent Job Gigabyte, keep up the amazing work, he's my attempt, hope you like it. :D

meantext.png

Simplicity For The Win!

Sig Battle Wins: ||

oithisissparta.png

Please Feel Free To Check Out

My Gallery

you can actually achieve the splatter technique in paint.net without using brushes.

"Clearly it's a very serious and literal meaning. If you're not solving physics equations then get off my lawn!-Rick Brewster Paint.net Lead Developer"

you can mimic it if you practice a bit by using the paint brush tool and making some random dots, then using the frosted glass plugin, then using noise>median. If you play with those you can make something similar.

"Clearly it's a very serious and literal meaning. If you're not solving physics equations then get off my lawn!-Rick Brewster Paint.net Lead Developer"

hmmmm, brushes so much quicker and easier, and most likely a better end result :D

Simplicity For The Win!

oithisissparta.png

My Gallery

I found out it looks better/cooler with multiply on! Here's a pic of a new one I did with multiply:

coolsplatter.png

I also found out a way to not have to download those brushes but still get a cool/good looking result, use the brush on size 25 and just draw random dots(dots not lines), then use the frosted glass effect with maximum radius at 30.00 and minimum radius at 0.00 and smoothness at 1.

mysignature2.png

hmmmm, brushes so much quicker and easier, and most likely a better end result :D

not necessarily... but to each their own.

@sonic the multiply blend mode looks good but it looks like you forgot to use the gaussian blur on the colours layer... i've done it with the blur and your right it does look pretty kool but i still think the original outcome is kooleR.

@theonlychad: your probablyy right and your way is probably way easier and has a better outcome but i find that brushes can have a more unique effect as you can style your own brush instead of using PDN effect settings to get a splatter that can sometimes take a long time to achieve the effect you want, but as you say, each to their own. oh and your navigation bar and new sig look awesomE!

Simplicity For The Win!

oithisissparta.png

My Gallery

I downloaded the brush and clicked "Add Brush" and clicked the file but it doesn't work. Also, there's no extract button so I don't think you're supposed extract anything. Is there something I am forgetting to do?

ufoforestsig.gif

I tried downloading the splatter effect and after a lot of hassle I couldn't get it to work so instead I tried it without splatter and at the end added a little water reflection.

scottism22logo1.png

I am a complete beginner and I think that looks really good. Thanks that is a really good tut and easy to follow too.

@sonic the multiply blend mode looks good but it looks like you forgot to use the gaussian blur on the colours layer... i've done it with the blur and your right it does look pretty kool but i still think the original outcome is kooleR.

@theonlychad: your probablyy right and your way is probably way easier and has a better outcome but i find that brushes can have a more unique effect as you can style your own brush instead of using PDN effect settings to get a splatter that can sometimes take a long time to achieve the effect you want, but as you say, each to their own. oh and your navigation bar and new sig look awesomE!

Your right I did forget the gaussian blur.

mysignature2.png

Amazing tutorial. It was easy to follow and the results were amazing.

This is only the second tut that I have gone through and completed. I am a complete newb to paint.net and haven't done much with it so far. I am going to try messing around with these effects and see what else I can come up with.

Also, I didn't use the brushes you suggested. I used the same splatter tool that sonicx7171 used in one of theirs because I am just more fond of it.

This is what I came up with.

002.png

I don't have the Splatter Brushes (will try to get) used what I had to try

and make similar, used Smudge, merged two text layers together and

made background a lighter black and got a glow effect. Here is my try...

c0e556de3e.png

[EDIT]

Got the splatter brushes and need to practice more with them..

8c95c9ea3a.png

Is it me --or do buffalo wings taste like chicken?

i vote this tut for a sticky, there needs to be more lis one, great and easy to follow well done gigabyte :D

Simplicity For The Win!

oithisissparta.png

My Gallery