error program needs to close everytime I try to save as .dds

Rhiana

I have been using paint.net to convert images to .dds files and today everytime I try, I get and error and the program closes. I have 3.5.1 I have tried using .jpg files and .tif

Is there a fix for this? Should i uninstall and reinstall?

Help. Please. =)

Rhiana

i looked on my desktop. No error report. Could it be going somewhere other than desktop?

I just get the popup saying this program has encountered an error and needs to close. And then asks if I wish to report the problem to microsoft.

I have windows xp if knowing that helps.

check in Paint.NET's FileTypes dir that you don't accidentally have the dds plugin in there.

(C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\FileTypes\DdsFileType.dll or similar)

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

wow this forum is fast with answers. =)

I don't remember even getting a plug in for this. I thought it was built in. I looked in that folder and it is empty.

eep.

Rhiana

Edit: looking at the dates from the main site, this might be the first time I have tried to save as .dds with the 3.5.1 version. Maybe my update just went badly?

Edit 2: I just tried the repair utility, it said sucessful, but nothing changed. Still can't save as .dds. I had a whole pile of images I was going to work on tonight. =(

I don't remember even getting a plug in for this. I thought it was built in.

It is built-in, but it didn't used to be. Used to be a plugin, and sometimes having the plugin installed in the versions of Paint.NET that have it built in causes problems.

xZYt6wl.png

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately it didn't work. I have now tried to go from .tif, .jpg and .png and none of them will save as .dds.

The window comes up to choose my .dds settings but before the hourglass disappears, the program closes. =(

Have you tried repairing your .NET framework? You do have .NET Framework v3.5 SP1, right?

xZYt6wl.png

Took me a little while to figure out where to look to see which version I have, but I found it, and yes it is 3.5 sp1

sigh. I almost wish I didn't have the right one, at least then I could fix it.

Have you tried running the repair on the NET framework?

Go through Control Panel to Add or Remove Programs.

Click the .NET Framework entry, then the Change/Remove button.

After it loads, click OK with Repair ticked. (Should be that as default)

Good catch, I was so focused on figuring out which version I had, I forgot the second step of repairing it. =)

Which I did, and just for kicks followed the link to see if i needed anything else updated for windows (nope). and reopened paint.net and tried to save again, and watched it close to desktop.

I am starting to get just a little frustrated. Am I down to unistall and reinstall option? any other ideas? or tips I need to know to do the un/re? I am thinking, if I do have to reinstall, moving it to my secondary drive (space issues :D ).

Ok, now I am frustrated. I uninstalled (using add/remove programs) and reinstalled. It remembers my recently opened images, and still crashes when i try to save as .dds

I really don't know what else i can do. I really want this program back running. =(

Ok, I just tried this. still a no go.

Earlier, I did uninstall, reboot and reinstall. Im wondering if it didn't completely uninstall tho, because in the new one it still knows which files I have opened recently.

Is there a step in uninstalling I missed? Seems like there is still something in my registry that might be messing up my new clean install. I think my Mcafee has a registry cleaner in it, maybe?

Edit:

I tried the registry cleaner in Mcafee, which didn't seem to do much, so downloaded one recommended on a modder board, which did tons. And reinstalled again. This time I got a cleaner reinstall, my recently opened was empty, and I really thought I had it. It let me begin to choose options for the dds save, and then crashed.

I am really stumped now. It has to be something amiss in my system, but I have no idea what is left to be checked.

I sent one of the images I am trying to work on to a friend, and he ran it thru his paint.net, same version, for me and it saved as a dds no problem, but im pretty sure he doesn't want to be processing all my stuff for me.

After reading the other post on here about an issue with .dds files, I realized that I never open .dds with this, so I double checked that, and yes I can open .dds, I just can't save as one, even one that began as a dds.

sigh.

Edit: 6 hours later, still not working, in case anyone was wondering. I am out of ideas.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok I actually think I figured this out. What processor do you have? Is it a Pentium III or an Athlon XP?

The "Squish" library that Paint.NET uses for DDS supports 3 optimization levels: scalar, SSE, and SSE2. Paint.NET v3.5.x states a minimum requirement of SSE, but it looks like I inadvertently compiled Squish to require SSE2! :oops:

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

For those who would like to try a patch, I've attached a ZIP file to this post.

First, make sure you have Paint.NET v3.5.2 installed.

Extract the contents to C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\Native.x86, overwriting the file that is already there ("PaintDotNet.Native.x86.dll").

This will be part of the next update, of course. Until then this should get everyone back on their feet, so to speak.

PaintDotNet.Native.x86.zip

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg