Sigs without borders!

lemonsourkid

Sigs without borders!
Dictionary.com[/url]":r1341pbt]Border:

7. an ornamental strip or design around the edge of a printed page, a drawing, etc.

And your sig (enlarged to show detail):

noborderseh.jpg

What's wrong with this picture?

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

Ah, I did not think of it that way. Perhaps so.

If so, perhaps he should have used a bit more of the 60000 character post limit, in order to remove some ambiguity? ;)

Also if so, allow me to apologize, lemonsourkid, for berating you without cause.

~ Becoming the Archetype

There are instances where a border helps, and instances where it ruins the sig.

i.e in boltbait's sig, it has a transparent look, so putting in a border would ruin it, but in nabster's sig, it would be better to put in a border as it good it that painting/portrait look along with the shadow.

and i prefer sigs w/o borders anyway :D

Honestly, there are some sigs that I feel look better without a border (not likely to happen though) and sigs that look better with them.

---- Gallery | Sig Tutorial | deviantART | Sig Videos | PhotoBucket ----

D                  E                  S                  T                  I                 N                  Y

Mendo, your sig is just a render with a bunch of random sparkles with a random background.

People have different tastes, and I happen to like lemons.

That's beside the point. OP doesn't know what he's talking about but he's giving out advice; Mendo might not have a great sig, but he's not setting rules.

There are instances where a border helps, and instances where it ruins the sig.

i.e in boltbait's sig, it has a transparent look, so putting in a border would ruin it, but in nabster's sig, it would be better to put in a border as it good it that painting/portrait look along with the shadow.

There was athread I read from long ago, somehwere about the use of borders. Frames or borders are used to ENHANCE a picture. To arbitrarily require borders or no borders is ridiculous.

Mine doesn't have one. It looks cramped with one.

Taking pot shots at one another is nasty & I am disappointed in some of you. Honestly, are you so insecure in your abilities that you have to be nasty? My respect for you as artists has greatly diminished.

Rather than have a bitch fight why not discuss what makes a good sig & how to improve a sig (see quote above). Remember that a sig is a personal thing...

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

Alrighty, I think that's enough arguing...

A sig is a user's signature. We limit the size to something manageable and provide guidelines to keep things family-friendly, but beyond that, what each user does with their sig is completely up to them.

If by chance you feel someone's sig is so horrifically terrible that you absolutely cannot bear to see it for fear of contracting immediate eye-cancer from it merely being on your monitor, just follow these simple steps:

1. Step One:

Use a browser that allows user-defined custom stylesheets. Examples include Firefox (Stylish makes it simple but is not required), Safari, and Opera.

2. Step Two:

Get the direct HTML link to the image you need to hide - A common way is right-clicking the image and choosing "Properties". Copy this location for the next step.

3. Step Three:

Open your user stylesheet for editing in the way applicable to your browser. Add this command to it:

img[src="http://www.source.of/image.ext"] {
   display:none !important;
}

So, for example, to hide my current signature image, the code would be:

img[src="http://cmdsketchpad.com/img/metalgearsigpi_final.png"] {
   display:none !important;
}

4. Step Four:

Save the stylesheet. You may need to restart the browser to apply the changes. Once applied, that specific image will never, ever show up again on any page you visit anywhere on the Internet.

Alternatively, you could try this one-step process:

1. Step One:

Suck it up and keep scrolling down. If you're feeling especially charitable, you might even pass along some constructive criticism as you go, so that the user can get an idea of what they could be working toward learning next.

You're never going to like everyone else's work, but judging someone else solely by the limited confines of your own style is the worst thing you could do to an artist - aside from sticking a knife in their ear. If you see something that is objectively wrong, give the person a hand by letting them know - tell them both why it's wrong and what they could try to help it along. This will make the Internet both a little more friendly, and a little more pretty.

~ Becoming the Archetype