Feather plug-in problem / question

I'm making a photo collage, and was planning to use BoltBait's feather plug-in to soften the edges of the photos. I've got the latest versions of Paint.NET and the Feather plug-in, but don't consider myself a sophisticated user of either. :) Each photo is on its own layer to make editing easier. The collage is intended to be printed large (11x14), so I'm working with (I guess) decently-sized images, and so I turned the Feather parameters all the way to 10 (or 10 / 5). I'm finding that what happens is I get the feathered region around the photo, and then a 1-pixel wide line that's empty (transparent), and then the rest of the unfeathered photo. That thin line is something I really don't want but I don't see how to get rid of it.

DaveL

This typically happens when the edges of the object are already feathered.
:? Since these are mostly full-resolution photos off the digital camera, some of them cropped, it doesn't seem like they should have feathered edges, but I'll take a closer look. I did resize most of them down, so maybe that affected the edges.
You would probably do better to use my Adjustment > Transparency plugin to adjust the object to full opacity. Then use the feather plugin.
I'll give that a try. Thanks for the quick feedback.

DaveL

This typically happens when the edges of the object are already feathered.
:? Since these are mostly full-resolution photos off the digital camera, some of them cropped, it doesn't seem like they should have feathered edges, but I'll take a closer look. I did resize most of them down, so maybe that affected the edges.
Thinking about that further, they were cropped in PDN (select, invert selection, delete), so maybe the edges were anti-aliased by default?

DaveL

I wind up using PDN just often enough to not remember that its anti-aliasing default often gives me the opposite result of what I really want. At this point I'm far enough into this project that I'd rather not have to backtrack, so hopefully BoltBait's suggestion will work. Although I'm also considering whether I like the effect I'm getting from the Bevel Selection plugin better, so I've got some options.

DaveL

This typically happens when the edges of the object are already feathered. You would probably do better to use my Adjustment > Transparency plugin to adjust the object to full opacity. Then use the feather plugin.
I had a chance to test this on one of the pictures and the collage, and it appears to solve the problem. Thanks.

DaveL