Is there anyone that can help with layering?

Hi

I am new to this site and pretty much new to computer photography. I am completely lost when it comes to techical stuff but I love taking pictures and want to learn. However before anyone says "take a class or buy software" that can both be costly. I have checked it out.

Anyway, this site was recommended to me via another photo program. My question is this: I am having a hard time navigating around and some of the words used to describe what I would like to do are new to me. For instance, I have a nice photo of my fiance and I. But in the picture I would like to remove the background and love to put in a snowy scene instead. Can anyone give me the baby steps needed to do this? Or tell me where I can find a very easy tutorial to follow? I tried some layering but it did not work when I tried to merge my 2 pics together. So I would be so grateful for anyone that would take the time to respond and help me out. Thank you so much.

I am new to this site and pretty much new to computer photography. I am completely lost when it comes to techical stuff but I love taking pictures and want to learn. However before anyone says "take a class or buy software" that can both be costly. I have checked it out.

Hi and welcome to the forum. Rest assured, you're in the right place :wink: Not only is Paint.NET extremely powerful, but it's free too! And the users are a nice bunch of helpful people.

I am having a hard time navigating around and some of the words used to describe what I would like to do are new to me.

With Paint.NET running, press F1 to open the help files. Reading through these should get you started with the terminology and the basics of the program.

... in the picture I would like to remove the background and love to put in a snowy scene instead. Can anyone give me the baby steps needed to do this? Or tell me where I can find a very easy tutorial to follow?

This site is your friend: http://www.getpaint.net/search.html. Bookmark it :!:

On the search site, type in term "cutting out images" and the results should take you to a neat tutorial on how to separate parts of an image from the rest.

For snow the same site searched with the term "snow" leads to this forum post: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=26714&start=0 wherein some nice snow effects are explained.

Good luck.