Will Paint.NET ever be able to save 8bit+alpha PNGs?

It would be incredible if Paint.NET was able to save in this rare format. Very few programs will save PNGs in this 8bit+alpha format, there are only 3 that I know of:

Fireworks (ridiculously expensive)

pngnq (command line)

pngquant (command line)

What's the advantage of 8bit+alpha? Well I'll show you (this may not look right in some old browsers):

Original 32bit PNG (81.7 KB):

6oq0dt.png

Big filesize, but it has nice semi-transparent edges.

8bit PNG (27.6 KB):

9r6368.png

The image is much smaller in filesize, however you'll notice that without an alpha channel it looks like a cut-out sticker.

8bit PNG+alpha (27.9 KB)

2r6nvgj.png

Sweet, the best of both worlds. It has a small filesize and at the same time it has semi-transparent edges that look faded, just like the original 32bit image.

I noticed that Paint.NET can open 8bit+alpha PNGs no problem, but would it be difficult to program it to allow it to save in this format?

I don't have any plans to add this to Paint.NET. Like you said, it's a rare format. If you really really need to squeeze images down to that size, you should work with them at 32-bit and then squish them to the 8-bit+A format as a final post-processing / pre-uploading step.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Filesize can also be greatly improved by OptiPNG, a plugin for Paint.NET.

Your posted image, optimized in OptiPNG down to 28.48 KB, is attached. :-) Nice and semi-transparent edges and everything, though you'll have to click through the preview to the final to see it.

3602_f9ff1e3dd2571f877c6fb5c9ba14ea96

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.