Crop to selection not accurate

nodeity

Hi guys, I've been a photoshop user for years but I finally gave it the flick for paint.net and my smile is slowly getting bigger, nice work.

I do have a problem though, I like to collect unusual or outstanding images for my desktop and recently national geographic released some exellent pictures, but they aren't set to 1680x1050 which my desktop is, so I've been trying to crop to the selection I like, at 1680x1050. I think I may be missing a vital step, first I select the rectangle mode then I select fixed ratio at 1680x1050 I then select the part of the photo I want and then use image, crop to selection. Here's the frustrating part, it never cuts to the selected size in this case I get 1598x 999 in another case I got 1527x955 and yet another 1566x980? All these images are 1600x1200 the cropped selection looks like the correct ratio but I cannot get it to crop to the size I want :( Clearly I'm doing something fundamentally wrong, but what ?? Any chance there's a fix for this. Thanks :oops: Oh, and whilst I'm here, there doesn't seem to be a way to set the finnished image to 72DPI from that method either :?

Set it to crop to a fixed size rather than a fixed ratio.

Set the 72 DPI first.

I did try that but you can't select the part of the image you want, plus given these images are 1600x1200 and I want 1680x1050 I first have to resize the image to 1680 wide, and even then it still wont cut exactly on the edges, so I oversized the image and then did it. This works and I do get the correct size, but as I said I want to select the part of the image I like and that is usually a smaller part of the image. Photoshop does this function easily by simply setting the selection size and DPI and allowing you to drag the rectangle over the selection you want, giving a correctly sized crop. thanks anyway

OK. Make your selection at your ratio, crop, then resize with maintain aspect ratio checked.

Ok, so I set the ratio to 16:10 (closest I can get to 1680x1050 without messing about) I then selected the section I wanted and cropped to that selection. I then resized the width to 1680 which gave me a depth of 1051, not quite accurate but close enough. It seems to me there should be a simpler way to do it alah P/shop, OK,... I know this isn't P/shop, but here me out,... lets say I have a series of obscure image sizes, this means I have to work out the exact ratio for each and I do mean exact!. This is quite a lot of work for such a simple task. Not all images are going to work out as close as 16:10. Particularly if you need to be pixel accurate, I'm hoping you see my point. :?

I appreciate the effort but that's the exact thing I did from the start. If you open an image click rectangle mode then fixed ratio and set the 1680 in box a, and 1080 in box b then select the part of the image you want to use and then crop to selection you don't get a 1680x1050 finnished image you get a random sized image, at least I do anyway :? By the way nice touch with the sreen image thanks, I appreciate your help :)

If you keep on clicking past Ratio, you can select by an absolute size...

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

They are random sized, but in the right ratio, I believe.

Final step is to resize up to what you want as finished size.

Try it and see.

(Unless your PdN install is buggy.)

Yay..... :shock: Thanks mate, that did it. Seems so simple in the end :oops: Still it would be nice if there was an extra section with crop to size or something... maybe in a future iteration :roll: You are a bloody genious and your blood deserves bottling,... Thanks a lot for that :D

He doesn't want that, we've been thru that already.

Apologies. I skipped over that one.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.